Urch Forums

2019 Admission Sweat Thread

tm_member

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend who has a perfect profile hasnt heard anything from them either. Hes the guy who got Friday acceptance into Queens and my other friend from same school with the exact same profile got into u of t last year the first day. Both are canadian

Lol looks like the trolls are getting smarter by adding fake funding information and spamming acceptances... making GC less useful by the day

but good thing we do have urch.. there are a few canadians here and we can cross verify results so id say those trolls are wasting their time lmao

I am perplexed as to why people check GC so regularly, then dismiss every result they come across. If you don't trust any of it, just don't look. I'm sure the stress of the situation will go down immensely, and it seems like it's making your blood boil...

I am perplexed as to why people check GC so regularly, then dismiss every result they come across. If you don't trust any of it, just don't look. I'm sure the stress of the situation will go down immensely, and it seems like it's making your blood boil...

I don't check GC often at all -- i think it has merit for seeing the stats of previously accepted people, but thats about it.

I wish I could do that. GC is one hell of a drug.. i need help

So according to my advisor and people he talked to, this year seems to be a very strong year. A lot of good people with great profiles don't get the offers they deserve and it's hard for the schools to make decisions. It may be just a very bad year for applicants, or it's the general trend that competition is getting more and more intense.

So according to my advisor and people he talked to, this year seems to be a very strong year. A lot of good people with great profiles don't get the offers they deserve and it's hard for the schools to make decisions. It may be just a very bad year for applicants, or it's the general trend that competition is getting more and more intense.

I would say the latter. Juniors learn from seniors and profs are becoming more knowledgeable about grad school programs.

Old article (The Complete Guide to Getting Into an Economics Ph.D. Program - The Atlantic) but I tend to believe/hope this piece of advice is true:

"Additionally, a flood of new international students is expanding the supply of quality students. That means that the number of high-quality schools is increasing; tomorrow's top 20 will be like today's top 10, and tomorrow's top 100 will be like today's top 50."

Old article (The Complete Guide to Getting Into an Economics Ph.D. Program - The Atlantic) but I tend to believe/hope this piece of advice is true:

"Additionally, a flood of new international students is expanding the supply of quality students. That means that the number of high-quality schools is increasing; tomorrow's top 20 will be like today's top 10, and tomorrow's top 100 will be like today's top 50."

The problem may be on the demand side. People are judging the quality of a PhD program largely on their placement into the top 30 programs etc. If the department itself is not expanding, to me it just sounds like more and more students will struggle to find jobs in academia. But again, a job in the industry could be really interesting as well.

The problem may be on the demand side. People are judging the quality of a PhD program largely on their placement into the top 30 programs etc. If the department itself is not expanding, to me it just sounds like more and more students will struggle to find jobs in academia. But again, a job in the industry could be really interesting as well.

For what its worth, it seems to be that job placement for even low ranking schools is really good. Like, I now that at Northeaster, a rank 90 program, the majority of their grads go into 6 figure salary industry jobs immediately upon graduating

For what its worth, it seems to be that job placement for even low ranking schools is really good. Like, I now that at Northeaster, a rank 90 program, the majority of their grads go into 6 figure salary industry jobs immediately upon graduating

Many people don't consider industry jobs to be good placement. In the long run, a PhD is significantly detrimental to lifetime earnings. Earning an MBA is easier, less stressful, and gets you started earning real money at least 3 years sooner.

Many people don't consider industry jobs to be good placement. In the long run, a PhD is significantly detrimental to lifetime earnings. Earning an MBA is easier, less stressful, and gets you started earning real money at least 3 years sooner.

I've talked to several industry people who say that a PhD is very necessary for their career goals. These are folks with a masters, in industry, and going back to graduate school for the PhD. Maybe the people I was talking to aren't very representative of the overall facts tho!

Hello my dear Toronto applicants.

I called the graduate assistant today.. .said I have offers on the table, and asked if they gave out any offers.

she said EARLIEST would be next week, but it could very well be longer than that.

I said that my offers from other schools would expire 2 - 2.5 weeks from now, and she encouraged me to e-mail my offers to gr.admission.economics@utoronto.ca and it would be forwarded to the grad committee.

Personally I won't do that until there's a week left with my other offers.... but hope this info helps

I've heard some schools accept a certain percentage of people that they expect to fail, just to teach undergrad classes -- heard this specifically for math PhD programs, though (from a math prof). If Chicago is failing 1/3 of a class it sounds possible that's what's going on, that's attrocious

Do any first-year Chicago econ PhD students teach first-year classes?

I can confirm from talking to a trusted insider that Chicago does NOT fail 1/3 of their class. I don’t know why that myth keeps being perpetuated. No one has really flunked the first-year prelims for the past 7-8 years. And no, the stipend package does not require students to teach in their first and second years.

Re-edit this post before I got confirmation

For what pulsars have said, then I have to confirm with my sources. I head this from a fifth year PhD student, a first year PhD student and someone worked as an RA there. It might be I'm wrong. I graduated from the master program last year and based on my personal experience taking the core sequences and the fact that they got easy micro finals for the second and third classes, I thought that was pretty legit.

And also, Chicago allows for two attempts, they don't kick out students if they only failed once. Just to clarify.

Got confirmation from one. Yes they did fail quite a few students, it was a class of around 22 people, 1/3 would be 7 people ish. But they seemed to recalculate the overall score by taking into account of their regular class grade so some of them avoided having to take the core again eventually. That's the story I got here.

Also the rejection to offer letter situation is 100 percent true guaranteed. Talked to the person literally like two days ago.

Don't get me wrong: Uchicago Econ is definitely one of the top programs for sure. The faculty quality there is just great. But there is a reason why it slips in ranking. The training in the first two years and research there is great. But the advising and environment there kinda sucks compared to other aspects. I guess people do still care about how happy you are during your phd education. Based on my own experience and collecting other people's opinions after they enter Uchicago Econ program or other phd programs other places, it seems to be a somewhat consensus that Uchicago doesn't have a very nice and welcoming environment. It may be easier to select the star students (looks like it is judging by their imc this year, so many flyouts) this way. But it's also true that quite some students got neglected and didn't end up on market. Actually, almost all the TA's I had there didn't show up on job market. This may be also true for other schools and I'm just telling my own experiences at Uchicago.

Edited by magicahan

According to the offer letter, econ PhD students do not have any teaching requirements in the first 2 years. In their third year, they are expected to teach 2/3 quarters, and in their fourth year they are expected to teach 1/3 quarters. Those requirements actually seem pretty tame relative to the other programs.

Hello my dear Toronto applicants.

I called the graduate assistant today.. .said I have offers on the table, and asked if they gave out any offers.

she said EARLIEST would be next week, but it could very well be longer than that.

I said that my offers from other schools would expire 2 - 2.5 weeks from now, and she encouraged me to e-mail my offers to gr.admission.economics@utoronto.ca and it would be forwarded to the grad committee.

Personally I won't do that until there's a week left with my other offers.... but hope this info helps

Thanks man. I really appreciate it.

And she didn't say whether other people have received offers?