Urch Forums

2019 Admission Sweat Thread

tm_member

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone else heard nothing from Cornell?

I haven't heard from them yet and I'm expecting a big round no from them since I am from South America, unknown recommenders and my quant GRE was not very good. My last name starts with S, so my guess is that they are going alphabetically (the GC conspiracies regarding ordering got into me, heheh).

Ok so I emailed the grad assistant @ U of T. They said that they are hoping to have first offers sent by early March. They asked me to send them my Queens Letter so that they can forward it to admissions committee and hopefully make a decision before march 20th

Ok so I emailed the grad assistant @ U of T. They said that they are hoping to have first offers sent by early March. They asked me to send them my Queens Letter so that they can forward it to admissions committee and hopefully make a decision before march 20th

I can confirm this, I called and they gave me similar instructions. gr.admission.economics@utoronto.ca. is the e-mail for those wondering

I was just requested to have an interview by CUNY.

Anyone has any advises?

I would appreciate both general advises for interviews for PhD in Econ (which I guess is rare) and specific advises for CUNY if anyone can.

Thanks!

I did an interview for Wharton and I prepped by googling "econ PhD interview questions" and it was pretty spot-on. The bulk of the questions were basically:

-Why an econ PhD? Why this program?

-What are you interested in? (Both field + type (theory, structural estimation, identification, etc.))

-Describe your research experience. In particular describe a specific research experience (either independent or as an RA) and the particular contributions you made

- What are the other programs you are considering?

Things I prepped that didn't come up:

- I looked up my interviewer and his field as a well as a few high-impact publications

- I had a few names of professors I would be interested in working with if I was asked

I was just requested to have an interview by CUNY.

Anyone has any advises?

I would appreciate both general advises for interviews for PhD in Econ (which I guess is rare) and specific advises for CUNY if anyone can.

Thanks!

You can find more general advice about interviews in the Business PhD forum since nearly all B-school PhD programs interview.

My experience is with finance interviews but it should be fairly similar to what an econ program would do. Sometimes the interview is with one faculty member who is on the admissions committee, but more often it is with 3 faculty members all of whom are on the admissions committee. If you have the three interviewer format at least one will be someone whose research interests overlap with yours. You will be told beforehand the format and faculty members.

Typical questions include:

1) Why do you want a PhD in general and your field (economics in your case) specifically? Questions about subfield interests will likely be asked.

2) Why are you interested in our program vs other programs? This may include some questions about which other programs you applied to and your likelihood of coming if accepted. It may also include questions about why your interests are good match for their faculty.

3) Questions about your role in prior research (RA, Masters paper/dissertation etc). In one of my interviews they asked specific questions about my model choices in my MA capstone project, though from comparing this to other people's experiences in the Business PhD forum, this is rare.

4) Less likely but possible are questions about prior teaching experience (can be relevant if funding is primarily via TAship).

Knowing your interviewers' papers is unimportant. I have never heard if this coming up in finance and I can't imagine econ is different. If your interviewer(s) is a faculty member you are interested in working with, maybe look up some of their work since it could come up in faculty fit questions, but it is not that important. And don't seem like you are trying to kiss up by randomly name dropping papers of the interviewer(s).

You should at least be dressed "business casual" even if it is a skype interview and make sure your webcam is not facing any sort of mess. A blank wall or a neat bookcase is probably best.

While I used to have a lot of good information about CUNY's PhD program, my information is out of date. The interview must be relatively new since as far as I know they were not doing them 5+ years ago.

UCLA has not even started with the applications. Will probably send something by the end of next week.

Yikes! That is terrible. According to last year, the UCs were very close to being synced which might mean we have to wait that long for all of them. That is so inconvenient for making decisions

Has anyone heard back from:

Maryland, UT Austin, USC, or the University of Washington? I’m getting very nervous I haven’t heard back from them yet.

I was informally admitted by USC seven days ago. They said formal offers will be out around next week.

Am not sure if those are real. One guys posted on March 5 saying he received email on March 6. How is that possible?

GC days start at Midnight EST. If I were to post a result after 10:00 PM in my timezone it would default to the next day.