Urch Forums

Choosing between programs (UAB/BGSE/PennState/SSE)

padma

I can comment regarding BGSE. From my own experience as an MSc student there, I really dont recommend that. The chances of getting from there to a top PhD (or even a decent place like Penn State) are almost non-exist. I know a lot of people that before the program thought they going to be placed at top schools but after they saw the system from within, they realised that they literally destroyed their chances of getting to a decent school for PhD. Faculty mostly interested in promoting locals and the level of organisation of the program is really a joke. Moreover, despite having good faculty, it seems that UPF PhD isnt so attractive at all. Funding is low, work load (TAing) is very high and the program lack attention and guidance from faculty (inside information from people there). I would definitely pick a funded offer from SSE or unfunded from Penn State over BGSE.

I would advise you not to choose BGSE since you already got a Ph.D. offer. Let me break down the question: given you choose BGSE, you will only be in Barcelona for a year. It's expensive. and you must apply before the end of the first term. Therefore, having one more MSc degree without a decent transcript will not add your profile too much. If you don't get a decent grade in Barcelona, chances are that next year you might get lower ranked school.

I personally really like training in Barcelona. It's challenging indeed but also rewarding.

For me, I got the admissions to decent schools in continental Europe. But the value-added of BGSE is still not clear yet.

/

Sorry I did not see your question. I think Warwick is better in Micro/ game theory.

Congratulations anyway! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...