Urch Forums

Cornell applied economics VS Madison economics VS Chicago Harris

albert

Hi everyone,

I have recently got three offers from the above universities, all with full funding. Do you have any suggestions on what offer should I choose? My research interest mainly lies in political economy, development, environmental economics and economic growth.

Chicago. pros: I was a graduate student at Harris, and can waive the first year courses and passed their q, therefore I could save one year time. Faculty matches my research interests and are first-tier scholars.

cons: less rigorous training in economics, not strong placement records in economics (may probably better in the future, since they have many great hiring.)

Cornell. Pros: take most of the courses with their econ students, good training. Tight relationship between faculties and graduate students (they coauthor frequently). good placement records, may be even better than their econ department.

cons: Faculty members are not that good compared with Chicago Harris (less top 5 publications). None of them do political economy.

Madison. Pros: High ranked program, first-tier professors, rigorous training.

Cons: areas may not be perfectly matched. Only want to work with 2 professors. High attrition rate in q exam (rumor?) And not strong placement records.

I am quite appreciate for your suggestions and comments.