Urch Forums

Hey guys, I'm thinking about what range of PhD/Masters/RA Positions to apply to and would love any advice/opinions I can get on the matter.

School: Almost unknown in the social sciences, Top 150 in US News Rankings

Econ classes: Principles of Micro/Macro, Intermediate Micro/Macro, Econometrics, Game Theory, Health Care, Behavioral, Empirical Research (All As)

Math classes: Calculus I-III (A), Probability (A), Mathematical Statistics (A), Mathematical Modeling (A), Intro to Differential Equations (A), Linear Algebra (A), Complex Analysis ©, Advanced Calculus I-II (A), Graduate Real Analysis I-II (A), Research in Mathematics (A), Mathematics Seminar (A)

Research experience: an empirical project using Stata for 2 years with one professor and a theoretical project in I/O with another, both of whom will write rec letters

Research Interests: I/O, Development

I haven't taken the GRE yet, but I'll be studying for it throughout the summer and anticipate on doing really well in it.

Thanks!

bump?

I think it might be difficult for people to give an assessment without more information. Your GRE score will be very important given the rank of your school. Are the projects going to be published? Will the letter writers be able to say "this student is in the best x percent of students I have ever taught?" where x is close to 0?

Your best bet is to ask your letter writers what schools past students have gotten in to - they will likely give you the best informed range. You have good grades, your main issue is going to be competing with other domestic students with good grades at higher ranked schools.