Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation

orangeade

Hello everyone,

Finally made an account for my own profile evaluation! Please share what you think, thanks.

Type of Undergrad: Top 20 Econ School (US), BS in Economics w/ an additional major in Math; Graduated two years ago; After Undergrad, I worked as a pre-doctoral RA at a Top 10 Econ School.

Undergrad GPA: 3.58 (University Honors), Economics Major GPA: 3.7, Math Major GPA: 3.7 (retook two math courses though, more explanations below)

Econ Courses: Introduction to Econ (B), Intermediate Micro (A), Intermediate Macro (A), Econometrics I-II (B,B), Honors Thesis (A,A), a few elective courses (A's and B's); Took while working as a pre-doctoral RA: Phd Micro (A), Phd Macro (A), Phd Metrics (A)

Math Courses: Calc I-Ill (A,A,A), Multivariate Calc/Analysis (A), Introduction to Proof ©, Matrix Theory/Algebra (C, and B after a retake), Discrete Math (B), Differentials Equation (B), Math Probability (A), Algebraic Structures (A), Real Analysis I (C, and A after retake), Real Analysis II (A), Grad-level Real Analysis (A), Grad-level Introduction to Lebesgue Integration/Measure Theory (A), Grad-level Topology (A), Linear Algebra (A), Research in Math (A)

Other Courses: Courses from Statistics departments- Introduction to Probability Theory (B), Statistical Inference (A), Stochastic Processes (A)

Concerns about grades: In addition to my average GPA, I have two Ws on not so relevant courses and an F on an irrelevant gen-ed course. In addition to a personal issue, I suffered from depression, which I did not know it was depression until very late in my college career. But I've tried my best to overcome it and got straight As during my last year when my academic life was the most rigorous.

Research Experience: 1-year RA for my senior thesis advisor, 1-year RA for another econ professor, 1 short task for a professor, Summer Research Internship at a top school, Summer research funding for my senior thesis, Award-winning honors thesis, 2- year pre-doctoral RA at a Top 10 econ school and co-authored paper (not yet published) with the professors there.

Publication: Published my senior thesis at a decent journal (the process was longer than I thought, but was able to with the guidance of my undergrad professors)

Letter of Recommendation: Senior thesis advisor, Professors I've worked with as a pre-doctoral RA, potentially the professor from summer internship. They all said the letters should be very strong.

Other/Concerns:

- Main concerns are those about grades (as mentioned above), will try to explain in my SOP.

I've gone through some struggles, but I did my best to overcome them and pursue my passion. I would like to aim as high as possible. Is there a chance that I could get admitted to a Top 10 school?

Any ideas and thoughts will be great!

Thanks.

If you've done two years as a pre doc RA at a top 10, getting into top 10 is very feasible, owing simply due to the connections of your letter writers. Speak to the professors where you're at, and get their opinion on where they suggest you apply.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi orangeade,

What courses did you take during the RA? I’m guessing those courses would be valuable coming from a top 10 institution and would be a very strong signal to the admissions committees, especially if they were grad level courses that you did very well in. Other than that, have you had any publications?

Your 3.5, especially since its driven by lower level courses, will be dominated by your good grades in PhD courses and higher level math. More importantly, your RA work will likely be a more important factor, especially your letters and your publication. You may see a little more variance because of the mixed record, but your expected admission is still quite high.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! I'm gonna apply to Econ Ph.D program next year. Let me know feasible university I can get admission!

Thank you all of you🙂

Type of Undergrad: B.A Economics and Mathematics double major in Asia developed country

Undergrad GPA: total(4.0), Econ(4.5), Math(4.2)

Type of Grad: M.A(second semester) Economics in Top2 university(my country)

Grad GPA: 4.0

GRE: I'm gonna take in winter

Math Courses: Economic mathematics (A+), Economic statistics (A+), Introductory stayistics(A+), Probability and mathematical statistics(A+), Calculus I (A+), Calculus II (A+), Linear Algebra I (A+), Linear Algebra II (A),

Differential equation(A+), Topology(A),

Analysis I (A), Analysis II (A+),

discrete mathematics(A) and so on.

Econ Courses: Intro Micro (A+), Intro Macro (A+), Intermediate Micro (A+), Intermediate Macro (A+), Public Economics (A+), Urban Economics (A+), International Trade (A+), Econometrics(A+),

Economic growth (A+) and so on

Other Courses: Grad level Macro(A),

Grad level Econometrics (A)

Research Experience: Yet.

Teaching Experience: one semester(Economic statistics) + @

Work Experience:

Research Interests: Econometrics theory; Applied Econometircs; Time series analysis;

Program: MATLAB

Other: TOEFL (87),

undergrad outstanding student award (8 times)

undergrad outstanding research award (2 times)