Urch Forums

How Competitive Is My Profile for Fed RA? : And One Additional Question

simplyEconomics

Hello Everyone, I am looking to apply to as many Fed banks this fall as is sufficient to make my odds reasonable. In order to do so, it would be nice to know if my profile looks competitive or not.

In addition to the profile, I am interested in knowing if it is a good idea to apply to all 12 banks and the board? Or should I be more selective. Hows does one distinguish between which bank is the best should one receive multiple interviews?

Also, last question, how competitive is the pay for such positions? Will it cover the expenses for living near the bank?

Here is my profile:

University: Satellite Campus of a Big State School in NJ

Major: Economics

Minor: Math

GPA: 3.96

Major GPA: 4.0

Honors, McNair Scholar

Classes:

Intermediate Micro/Macro (A/A), Basic Calc (A), Calc I-III (B/A/this fall), Linear Algebra (A), Numerical Analysis (A), Probability and Stats (A), Econometrics (A), Grad Econometrics (this spring), Math for Economics[Grad Course](this fall), differential equations (this fall), Monetary theory[Grad Course](this fall), proof writing course (this fall)

Research:

2019 Undergraduate Research Fellow at Top 10 Econ Department

Research with Professor at my Own School

Independent Research for the McNair Program

Will be writing my senior thesis this year

Software Knowledge:

R, Stata, Python, Latex, Microsoft Office

Other Experiences

Intern at Bulge Bracket Firm in Wealth Management

Fed Challenge participant

I can't answer questions pertaining to the Fed. For that, jirousseau will provide better advice, if he chances upon this thread. However, is there any particular reason why you're applying solely for Fed positions? Your current profile should be adequate to land some decent pre-doc fellowships, given that you were an undergrad research fellow at a top 10. Pre-doc positions contribute more to the eventual admissions process, than a Fed RAship.

I can't answer questions pertaining to the Fed. For that, jirousseau will provide better advice, if he chances upon this thread. However, is there any particular reason why you're applying solely for Fed positions? Your current profile should be adequate to land some decent pre-doc fellowships, given that you were an undergrad research fellow at a top 10. Pre-doc positions contribute more to the eventual admissions process, than a Fed RAship.

I have heard from a number of sources that the Fed RA positions are as good as any for prospective grad school applicants like me. I am particularly interested in the board.

Can I find these pre-doc position on the NBER website?