Urch Forums

AnnC

Hi

Based on advice from a previous post, I would love for a complete profile evaluation. I will try to be as descriptive as possible. Any advice is welcome.

Research Interests

Environmental and climate economics, with impact on health and energy sectors.

Education

1. BA (Hons) Economics - No. 1 university available in my developing country for humanities.

Ranked third in college with first class distinction (75 percentage). Not sure how to convert to GPA, but university toppers have marks around 85%

NOTE: Took a gap year in between

2. MA in Environmental Economics - Only college to offer this course, but in terms of econ programs, top 5 institutes in my country for postgrad education

8.2 CGPA (graduated this year). Top 5% of all econ programs with around 250 students.

Completed thesis with departmental and highly cited professor as advisor

Math Courses

1. Bachelors (took all math courses available at university level, didn't know how important this was then)

STATISTICAL METHODS IN ECONOMICS-I and II; MATHEMATICAL METHODS FOR ECONOMICS-I and II; INTRODUCTORY ECONOMETRICS I; MATHEMATICS AWARENESS; LINEAR ALGEBRA AND CALCULUS; ELEMENTS OF ANALYSIS

(All purely math papers have 80+ percentage, but I did screw up in stats and micro with 60-70 scores icon9.png )

2. Masters level

Statistical Methods; Mathematical methods; Econometric methods; advanced econometric methods and Stochastic models

(Scored A or A+ in all courses in masters which is 70-90 in percentage)

Experience

1. RA with highly professor from a top 200 college in the US. 5 months (during covid lockdown) work on data cleaning and analysis, report making etc. They have put up my work on their website too, so really lucked out with the prof.

2. RA with econometric prof from my college and prof from an MBA institute. 7 months work on data cleaning and analysis report making etc. I have also rejoined as co-author recently,

3. Research Intern during summer break (2 months) at an NGO for development research. Did literature review.

(4) Editor for student led blog at masters

NOTE: None of the experience directly relates to my area of interest

Letters

Strong letters from professors I worked as an RA with (including US prof). Also expecting strong letter from my thesis advisor especially based on my active involvement (organizer, editor) in academic lectures and events at master college.

Works in progress

As mentioned, joined as co-author for the project I worked as RA with. I also am working with my thesis advisor and converted my thesis into a working paper.

GRE- Not taken yet, targeting end of the month

Other Info

Good social presence on twitter and linkedin. Made my own website on advice of the US prof

Expertise in STATA (codes put up on github); learnt C++ in school; learning python and GIS right now

Final Remarks

Currently I am looking for RA positions related to my field of interest, but they have been few and very competitive. So any other advice on strengthening my profile is welcome. Especially since my areas of interest is very specific.

Also, will you suggest I apply this November/ December based on my current profile? It may be worthwhile to know a few of my alumni have went on to join programs in the US, Europe and New Zealand. I am also interested in schools in Europe, with an open mind for interdimensional research.

Thank you for any input you can offer!

So based on your usage of the word "topper", I think you are Indian. Under that assumption, I think you can get into a top 50 program, but wouldn't be competitive for higher ranked programs. There are just so many strong Indian candidates in each year.

So based on your usage of the word "topper", I think you are Indian. Under that assumption, I think you can get into a top 50 program, but wouldn't be competitive for higher ranked programs. There are just so many strong Indian candidates in each year.

Haha I never knew "topper" was something Indian students like to say