Urch Forums

Profile Eval for Fall 2021 (Aiming at top 10)

invincible99

PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Low ivy school. Triple major in CS/ECON/MATH

Cumulative GPA: 3.99/4.3

GRE: 170 Q/161 V/4.5 W (non-native English speaker)

Math Courses:

Linear Algebra(A+), Multivariable Calculus(A), Applied Algebra(A), Advanced Linear Alg(A-), Honor intro to analysis(A), Stochestic Process(A+), Numerical Analysis (A)

Econ Courses:

Intermediate Microeconomics(A+) & Macroeconomics(A), Statistics and Probability(A+), Econometrics(A), Game Theory(A+), Financial Engineering(A), Quantitative Analysis(A), Behavioral Economics(A-), Asymmetric Information(A), and International Trade(B-, oops!)Taking ECON PHD Micro I now, seems good so far

CS Courses:

Intro to Python(A), Object-Oriented Programming & Data Structure(A), Discrete Structures(A+), Data Structure & Functional Programming(A-), Machine Learning for Intelligent Systems(A), Algorithms(A), Computer Vision (A), and System Programming (A+)

Letters of Recommendation:

1) Assistant Professor who I RAed for 8 months. He is also my thesis advisor (Super Strong)

2) Full Professor who I RAed for and took a class with. He was a top5 full professor before joining our school. (Strong)

3) Full Professor who I RAed for and took a class with. (Strong)

Research Experience:

4 RA experiences with 2 Assistant Professors and 2 Full Professors. Asked 3 for LOR. Interned as undergraduate researcher for the AEA publication code-checking job.

Teaching Experience:

TAed 3 semesters for the Discrete Structure course and 2 semesters for the Machine Learning course (all in CS department)

Programming skills:

Python, Java, Matlab, Latex, R, STATA

I am a bit concerned with my B- Econ course. I didn't feel well when I took the final. Does it harm a lot? Would it be reasonable for me to get a top 10 offer? Or top 5? What's gonna be the expected lowerbound for me? Should I apply to any program below top 25?

Any advice would be appreciated.

I think that B- is not a big deal -- its an elective Econ class, so no problem. I think its possible you'll get a top 10 admit. What rank is your undergrad? I would still apply across the top 20 in case.

As I mentioned, it is a low Ivy league school (one of Brown, Cornell, and Dartmouth), so the rank would be around 15th.