Urch Forums

I took the at-home GRE this past weekend and my unofficial scores came back as Q: 165 and V:163. I am currently looking into terminal masters programs for a stepping-stone to a PhD in economics in order to (1) get stronger letters (2) more coursework in upper-level economics as my undergrad leaves much to be desired in terms of econ courses. I am also working on math courses (full calc sequence, linear algebra) before this masters program.

Do you think I should worry about re-taking the GRE? Down the road when it comes to PhD application time will the 165 limit me severely in terms of the programs that will consider me? Such as strictly outside the top-50?

Thank you.

I took the at-home GRE this past weekend and my unofficial scores came back as Q: 165 and V:163. I am currently looking into terminal masters programs for a stepping-stone to a PhD in economics in order to (1) get stronger letters (2) more coursework in upper-level economics as my undergrad leaves much to be desired in terms of econ courses. I am also working on math courses (full calc sequence, linear algebra) before this masters program.

Do you think I should worry about re-taking the GRE? Down the road when it comes to PhD application time will the 165 limit me severely in terms of the programs that will consider me? Such as strictly outside the top-50?

Thank you.

Not an academic but I have spoken with a few people who have been accepted into Top 10 colleges in the US (Harvard, Stanford). I was told that 165 is the cut-off for quant scores, but anything above that doesn't present any marginal benefit. Obviously a grain of salt, but I think you wouldn't be counted out on that basis. From what I understand once someone hits the minimum (165), the GRE doesn't have any bearing on the likelihood of admission - they go to other characteristics.

Hope that's helpful

Not an academic but I have spoken with a few people who have been accepted into Top 10 colleges in the US (Harvard, Stanford). I was told that 165 is the cut-off for quant scores, but anything above that doesn't present any marginal benefit. Obviously a grain of salt, but I think you wouldn't be counted out on that basis. From what I understand once someone hits the minimum (165), the GRE doesn't have any bearing on the likelihood of admission - they go to other characteristics.

Hope that's helpful

Strongly disagree in most cases... people with a 165-167 CAN get into Harvard/Stanford with other exceptional parts of their application such as publications/research experience/top masters degree. But if you look at programs ranked below the top 5 like Minnesota or Duke they state their avg. GRE scores are from 167-169. Unless you have some incredible part of your application that makes your GRE irrelevant getting into that range is the smart thing to do so I would retake. You don't want to be below the median/average score at schools that receive hundreds of nearly perfect applications.