Urch Forums

Need help choosing MA/MSc

Useless

Hello everyone. I faced a dilemma, so I am in need of advice. I am from a Commonwealth country, taking my penultimate semester at BA in Economics.

Grades: Micro B+, Macro B-, others A and A+

I am aiming to get admitted to a middle-ranked PhD in Econ in the US. But considering that I don't have such a strong background (just have several "papers" with elementary econometrics on SSRN, one conference paper on machine learning topic and 2 papers which currently are under review, but it will take an eternity for the papers to be published), I've decided to apply for MA/MSc. Hence, I do have two options: 1) MSc in mathematical modeling or MSc in Statistics in developing countries (Russia, Turkey, maybe Eastern Europe) or 2) MA/MSc in Economics or Quantitative Economics or Econometrics in Germany (can't afford other Western Europe countries :))

So, which one is more appropriate for PhD in Econ?

In case of 2, Economics or Quantitative Economics?

Thanks for reading :)

Edited by Useless

You need to look at the placements of the Economics Masters programs. In Germany, Quantitative Economics Masters are very intensive; they are basically first year PhD coursework. Due the the grading curve being competitive in QEM, most people end up staying in their masters institution for PhD. So be wary of this possibility.

As for the statistics route, that will not lead to a PhD in Economics (it could, but unlikely) . You want letters of rec from Economists and not statisticians; also, it is unlikely you will be able to take Masters level Micro & Macro during your Stats masters...

As for the statistics route, that will not lead to a PhD in Economics (it could, but unlikely) . You want letters of rec from Economists and not statisticians; also, it is unlikely you will be able to take Masters level Micro & Macro during your Stats masters...

Thanks for response. But what about majors in math who got admitted to PhD in Econ?

Hello everyone. I faced a dilemma, so I am in need of advice. I am from a Commonwealth country, taking my penultimate semester at BA in Economics.

Grades: Micro B+, Macro B-, others A and A+

I am aiming to get admitted to a middle-ranked PhD in Econ in the US. But considering that I don't have such a strong background (just have several "papers" with elementary econometrics on SSRN, one conference paper on machine learning topic and 2 papers which currently are under review, but it will take an eternity for the papers to be published), I've decided to apply for MA/MSc. Hence, I do have two options: 1) MSc in mathematical modeling or MSc in Statistics in developing countries (Russia, Turkey, maybe Eastern Europe) or 2) MA/MSc in Economics or Quantitative Economics or Econometrics in Germany (can't afford other Western Europe countries :))

So, which one is more appropriate for PhD in Econ?

In case of 2, Economics or Quantitative Economics?

Thanks for reading :)

I'm going to talk about your Turkey option since I do not know what your other options can bring. No one in Turkey studies statistics. It's very looked down upon. If you look at the people who goes there and their ranking in the university entrance exam, you can see that even the top school's stats department isn't attracting best students. Although I must mention since it is not very popular, it may be quite easy to get into these programmes. However, studying Econ in Turkey is pretty common and they have some of the very strong placements to PhD programmes. For reference you may want to look at Koc, Bogazici, Sabanci, Bilkent universities. But, this also mean that it is going to be quite hard to get an acceptance from these programmes though maybe not so much for you. I strongly suggest you doing MA in Econ, not stats in Turkey. USD/TRY parity is strengthening day by day that the school fees and rent will be minimal for you. However, Turkey isn't the best country to live in due to the current totalitarian regime so you need to take that into equation as well. I hope this helps.