Urch Forums

Building a grad school portfolio

ChandlerH

Hey all, I am currently a junior at a moderate level United States research school. I am studying math with a minor in economics, will have far more classes than required but am avoiding the business school pre-reqs of a double major. I am trying to start formulating a plan for how to boost my application to graduate school or pre grad school programs next fall. Here are my current school stats and relevant experience.

GPA: 4.0 (80 credit hours)

Relevant Courses: econometrics, intermediate micro/macro (planned), law and economics, natural resource economics. Calc 1-3, Intro diff eq, Linear Algebra, probability, stats (planned), advanced cal.

Relevant research experience: Working paper on terrorism that I will be a co-author on. Started undergraduate research on energy regulations in the US. From this and my classes, I already have rec letter writers.

Relevant job experience: Currently interning in a think tank out of DC where I am working on terrorism, energy, and carbon tariffs.

GRE: I plan to take the GRE next spring and additionally next summer, shooting for a 165 quant or higher.

I am wanting to go to graduate school somewhere that has energy and environmental economics as a top option, with preferably some decent connections in the public policy, government sector. Any advice on schools I should be looking at or things to do to boost my application are greatly appreciated.