Urch Forums

cv and statement of purpose

Impossibiity

In the statement of purpose I will write about my research experience. However, since I already did that in my CV, is that a bit repetitive? Or should I remove the description of my research experience in cv, leaving only the headline? (for example, research assistant for professor X from 2019-2020; master thesis from 2020-2021)

The statement of purpose shouldn't just rehash what is on your CV.

In our admissions process, we just want to know a little bit about you. Do you have a sense of what a PhD in economics is, do your broad research interests line up with our department, and can you communicate well. Most people aren't helped or hurt by their statement in our admissions process.

• 11 months later...

It is quite impossible to not repeat some details, but the aim of the statement of purpose is to show them more about your personality and abilities which is quite hard. I needed a mba essay help when I was writing my college application essay as I didn't know what to write it in order to showcase my personality and also that I am the person they are looking for. That service helped me a lot and also explained why I have to avoid some information and what to include. Now I am a pro at it.

• 1 month later...

Unless you have too many things to brag about yourself, it is unavoidable to refer to the same event in your CV and SOP. But I think SOPs should contextualize your experiences by pointing out how it helps you reach your ultimate goal. It would be easier to digest if you connect all your experiences to your "purpose" so that admission committee will not be confused by, say, three distinct RA experiences you had and still not know why you were doing these at the end of the day. Such a unifying account is hard to present in a CV given its concise and discontinuous nature.