Urch Forums

2021 Sweat Thread

tm_member

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don’t know about Duke, but the rumor among predocs is that Columbia would admit a very small class this year (

I’ve heard the opposite rumor - that the Columbia class might be pretty close to normal sized minus a few seats for people who deferred the job market. But that’s just hearsay, so you may have a better source.

Sooo if all these schools are admitting pretty small cohorts this year does that mean we'll be rewarded for the awful admissions season in 6 years when we hit the job market with less competition/better prospects?

That’s the silver lining my letter writers have been reminding me of 😂

I've heard Columbia is reducing their cohort a little bit, but they had many students who were admitted last year and deferred. Consequently, the admitted class will probably be quite small.

This is exactly what I heard and hence the rumor that the number of admitted students will be very small. I don’t know if any university other than Columbia has had en exceptional number of deferrals and have very few admits

Sooo if all these schools are admitting pretty small cohorts this year does that mean we'll be rewarded for the awful admissions season in 6 years when we hit the job market with less competition/better prospects?

I had not thought about this yet... that is indeed quite the silver lining!!!

I am having some major impostor syndrome feelings today. I got an offer from a top 10 (top 5-7?) department a couple of weeks ago and it was a dream come true. Their stronger fields happen to match the fields I’m interested in. However, because I have not heard back from other similarly ranked programs (today seems like IR from Princeton and Columbia), I feel like this was all a fluke. I’m feeling anxious that someone made a mistake and overestimated my profile and I’m not really fit for a top 10 school. Even though I most likely wouldn’t accept other offers over the one I already have, I still find myself craving some sort of validation. Sorry for the rant, just needed to vent a little 😣

• Erin featured this topic
  • Erin unpinned this topic