Urch Forums

2021 Sweat Thread

tm_member

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too

I don't think it's an implicit rejection yet. They're probably done sending offers but I think that, especially this year, there will be some waitlists sent out at some point. They may be waiting to see how many people decline the offer off the bat before they send those out.

I don't think it's an implicit rejection yet. They're probably done sending offers but I think that, especially this year, there will be some waitlists sent out at some point. They may be waiting to see how many people decline the offer off the bat before they send those out.

I saw a waitlist on GC for Georgetown, think it's just a fluke and that they've still yet to send out the waitlist?

4 implicit rejections in one day .... this is getting pretty rough. Currently 0a/8ir/2r/8p. Might be seeing this forum next year.

I don’t think it’s wise to assume they’re ‘implicit rejections’. Many schools send out multiple rounds of offers. Especially since this year people seem to have applied to a lot of schools. My hypothesis is that the number of applications at places like Michigan are exploding because it lies in the center of the distribution between the very top schools and the ones which are great but not the best. What this means is that they probably received (and accepted) many applications from very strong candidates who wouldn’t have applied there in a regular year. If they don’t adjust for this by keeping a large pool of applicants in the waiting list, there is a possibility that they will underestimate the number of people who will accept their offer and will have to send out more offers later. Take all of this with a pinch of salt though, I have too much spare time to think up these crazy theories these days

I don’t think it’s wise to assume they’re ‘implicit rejections’. Many schools send out multiple rounds of offers. Especially since this year people seem to have applied to a lot of schools. My hypothesis is that the number of applications at places like Michigan are exploding because it lies in the center of the distribution between the very top schools and the ones which are great but not the best. What this means is that they probably received (and accepted) many applications from very strong candidates who wouldn’t have applied there in a regular year. If they don’t adjust for this by keeping a large pool of applicants in the waiting list, there is a possibility that they will underestimate the number of people who will accept their offer and will have to send out more offers later. Take all of this with a pinch of salt though, I have too much spare time to think up these crazy theories these days

No, I think this is probably pretty accurate for this cycle. The waitlists are going to be important and there'll probably be a lot of movement up through April.

Only thing to add to the waitlist theory is that it also applies to the top schools, since they compete with Harvard/MIT as well. This is also true in a normal year, but Yale's waitlist letter said they were under immense pressure to keep the class size down, whereas in another year they would overadmit generously assuming they would lose a good chunk to the top 5. Add in deferrals from last year and you have a significantly reduced margin of yield error for all except the top 2 i would guess.

Completely agree, I think waitlists are going to be very important this year. Great post

Weird that Vanderbilt waitlists seem to be going out before acceptances and rejections. Has anyone gotten anything yet?

I haven't heard anything. Does seem weird to start with waitlists first. I just hope this means they'll be sending out acceptances and rejections soon.

My two cents on being "implicitly rejected": I think following GC is a good way to figure this out but, after doing that for two weeks, I now realize that I gained nothing from learning whether or not I was implicitly rejected.

Last year, I applied 13 places and followed GC pretty closely. I did the thing where I assumed implicit rejection from places that had sent out their acceptances. Turns out that one of the places that I thought implicitly rejected me ultimately accepted me (no waitlist either) on April 1. Ultimately decided not to go, but served as a good reminder that I should not be putting too much stock on the implicit rejection thing. It's definitely a bad sign if you see a bunch of acceptances go up, but it is by no means a dagger. Also, this is a particularly weird cycle. More schools may do multiple rounds of acceptances / rejections (see Northwestern last year).

• Erin featured this topic
  • Erin unpinned this topic