Urch Forums

2021 Sweat Thread

tm_member

My two cents on being "implicitly rejected": I think following GC is a good way to figure this out but, after doing that for two weeks, I now realize that I gained nothing from learning whether or not I was implicitly rejected.

Thanks for this and everyone's support. I find it odd how I have 10+ implicit rejections and haven't heard from Chicago Michigan etc. when they have sent out rejections (seemingly). Hopefully its a sign of being waitlisted? Or something.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for this and everyone's support. I find it odd how I have 10+ implicit rejections and haven't heard from Chicago Michigan etc. when they have sent out rejections (seemingly). Hopefully its a sign of being waitlisted? Or something.

Sorry to break it to you, but check your uchicago portal, there may be a letter waiting for you.

Sorry to break it to you, but check your uchicago portal, there may be a letter waiting for you.

Funnily enough between when I posted this and now I received a letter - rejection with referral to MAPSS (which I assume everyone received). Be careful what you wish for, I suppose.

How many of yall got referred to MACSS for UChicago instead of MAPSS? Any idea what it means to be referred to one MA instead of the other?

To be honest, both programs are not good for PhD admissions in the future. MAPSS is 1 year and VERY COMPETITIVE if you try to go on the inside track towards uchicago PhD. MACSS is 2 year and will set u up for industry better than PhD.

The calls from Harvard earlier may have been real. I just received an email from Harvard stating that I have been waitlisted. Apparently, due to a university wide policy, only 1/4 of the normal class size was admitted.

This is crazy. I was an optimist early on, thinking that maybe admissions wouldn't actually be as rough this year as we were all afraid of, but at this point in the process it seems like an extraordinarily competitive year. More applications, fewer funded spots, a perfect storm.

Reaaaallly not feeling good about turning down offers 2 years ago to apply again this year lol.

This is crazy. I was an optimist early on, thinking that maybe admissions wouldn't actually be as rough this year as we were all afraid of, but at this point in the process it seems like an extraordinarily competitive year. More applications, fewer funded spots, a perfect storm.

Reaaaallly not feeling good about turning down offers 2 years ago to apply again this year lol.

Yeah, Harvard accepting a smaller class this year is going to have a trickle-down effect. Not good

The calls from Harvard earlier may have been real. I just received an email from Harvard stating that I have been waitlisted. Apparently, due to a university wide policy, only 1/4 of the normal class size was admitted.

I could be misunderstanding this but I think accepting 1/4th of a normal class size is somewhat worse than accepting 1/4th of normal intake. Even at Harvard, a few admitted will select MIT or some other top school.

Yeah, Harvard accepting a smaller class this year is going to have a trickle-down effect. Not good

Is it possible that Harvard is just make fewer offers now, but will accept a bunch of people on their waitlist later so that their cohort size is closer to normal? Or do we know for a fact the cohort will be a quarter of what is normal?

Does anyone have any recommendations for questions to ask/not to ask when talking to an ad com chair about an offer? Is this the time to ask about things like percent who pass prelims or average time to completion of the degree? Or should that wait? Thanks!

Those questions are fine, although it might be better to ask them at a (virtual) visit day. You also want to talk to current graduate students to see how they feel they are treated. You should ask that when faculty are not present :).

If you have multiple offers from schools which are roughly competitive, it is also fine to gently negotiate for a better offer. (Very gently, you're going to end up living with these folks for a long time.) Not clear if schools will have as much negotiating room this year as usual.

How is everybody doing in the application game thus far?

Not too bad. I have two acceptances from similar ranked schools so I'm feeling relieved that I have somewhere to go even if they're a little lower on my list. I haven't heard anything else other than what I assume is an implicit rejection. If previous years' trends hold I'll be hearing from most of the schools I still have interest in by end of month, so I'm just a ball of anxiety right now. How about you?

I could be misunderstanding this but I think accepting 1/4th of a normal class size is somewhat worse than accepting 1/4th of normal intake. Even at Harvard, a few admitted will select MIT or some other top school.

This is the exact language, if this helps clarify things: "Due to a university-wide policy, we were only able to

admit around a quarter of our usual class size this year"

My understanding is that the target cohort is 1/4, not that they admitted 1/4 of the usual number (though presumably those are highly correlated).

This is the exact language, if this helps clarify things: "Due to a university-wide policy, we were only able to

admit around a quarter of our usual class size this year"

My understanding is that the target cohort is 1/4, not that they admitted 1/4 of the usual number (though presumably those are highly correlated).

The number I keep hearing from other RAs (work with Harvard profs) is 16 admits

Does anyone have any information regarding UVa?

There are acceptances, rejections and waitlists on GC. I haven't heard back. Should I assume an IR?

Same here, But I would say even if the posts are real, they may just be sending out offers in waves. So no need to panic, good luck.

• Erin featured this topic
  • Erin unpinned this topic