Urch Forums

2021 Sweat Thread

tm_member

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it crazy to decline an interview at UW Madison? I have a few acceptances that are in the same range that I think I would strictly prefer location-wise and also are probably a better fit for my research interests (UCSD among others). I don't want to waste anyone's time, but I also don't want to make a rash decision. Has anyone else declined a waitlist or interview in a similar position?

Is it crazy to decline an interview at UW Madison? I have a few acceptances that are in the same range that I think I would strictly prefer location-wise and also are probably a better fit for my research interests (UCSD among others). I don't want to waste anyone's time, but I also don't want to make a rash decision. Has anyone else declined a waitlist or interview in a similar position?

I don't think it's crazy if you have a strictly dominating offer. But if you're not 100% sure about the research compatibility, I would just do the interview. You will likely be able to get a better sense during the interview

90% outright rejection is not possible . Even Princeton sent acceptances to 50 people (out of 800 applicants or so). I dont know how many were put on waitlist but wl + acceptances should already be close to 10%

How do you know how many Princeton admitted? I was waitlisted and led to believe the admit list was far smaller than that.

How do you know how many Princeton admitted? I was waitlisted and led to believe the admit list was far smaller than that.

I was waitlisted too, fingers crossed. Do you have some idea of how long this waitlist is? A decent amount of posts about info of the WL have been made on GC but it could've been just the same 10~ people on the WL

I haven't heard back from a lot of schools that have apparently sent out both acceptances and rejections. Beginning to wonder if some of these schools won't do waitlists at all but will just wait till April to see how many accept offers and then send more out accordingly.

I haven't heard back from a lot of schools that have apparently sent out both acceptances and rejections. Beginning to wonder if some of these schools won't do waitlists at all but will just wait till April to see how many accept offers and then send more out accordingly.

I'm in the same place with WUSTL for now. Schools are facing extra uncertainty this cycle to and I think your intuition is right that not hearing anything when rejections and acceptances have gone out is probably some level of waitlist (at the very least they're not ready to reject yet).

I am curious to hear other opinions, but I think by mid- to late-march, once virtually all programs have released decisions, it's perfectly fine to email a department and say "Hi, I am considering offers from a few different programs but wanted to check in on my status with you all as I'm making my decision."

Which programs are we expecting to hear from this week?

UCSB, UNC, USC, UMD, and all the ones I was hoping to hear from last week lol. I'm still waiting on Texas, UVA, and Georgetown, any or all of which might be IR. So far I'm getting absolutely crushed this season.

UCSB, UNC, USC, UMD, and all the ones I was hoping to hear from last week lol. I'm still waiting on Texas, UVA, and Georgetown, any or all of which might be IR. So far I'm getting absolutely crushed this season.

I feel you. I was also expecting USC last week, and have been waiting for Georgetown for a while despite the probable IR. Tough cycle...

I'm in the same place with WUSTL for now. Schools are facing extra uncertainty this cycle to and I think your intuition is right that not hearing anything when rejections and acceptances have gone out is probably some level of waitlist (at the very least they're not ready to reject yet).

I am curious to hear other opinions, but I think by mid- to late-march, once virtually all programs have released decisions, it's perfectly fine to email a department and say "Hi, I am considering offers from a few different programs but wanted to check in on my status with you all as I'm making my decision."

I was in the same situation for WUSTL, but I got an e-mail from a professor informing me that I have been waitlisted. I feel like many schools are sending out fewer offers and waitlisting more students due to increased uncertainty. I am in the same place for Northwestern as well, and I'm still hopeful to hear some positive news from them as well since it was one of my top choices. I am definitely going to contact them to ask about my status if I don't hear anything from them until mid march. I heard that some people couldn't hear anything from them until April last year, which would be very inconvenient and anxiety-provoking...

Edited by yjk0422

I was in the same situation for WUSTL, but I got an e-mail from a professor informing me that I have been waitlisted. I feel like many schools are sending out fewer offers and waitlisting more students due to increased uncertainty. I am in the same place for Northwestern as well, and I'm still hopeful to hear some positive news from them as well since it was one of my top choices. I am definitely going to contact them to ask about my status if I don't hear anything from them until mid march. I heard that some people couldn't hear anything from them until April last year, which would be very inconvenient and anxiety-provoking...

Yeah I got that same email, 3rd waitlist for me and by far the nicest note lol. I think in two more weeks I'll reach out to any schools I haven't heard from.

Schools I'm hoping for this week: UNC, UMD, and Pittsburgh. I also threw some money away applying to Penn, the only T10 that I tried for and I know I'll get rejected but they'll probably release decisions this week too.

• Erin featured this topic
  • Erin unpinned this topic