Urch Forums

2021 Sweat Thread

tm_member

Did Northwestern send out WLs? Or is not hearing back likely an IR at this point?

I believe they did not. Last year, NW sent out a first wave of rejections, then WL/final rejections. This second wave was in mid-March thru April. I noticed some applicants emailed the dept. around March 9th asking about their status and the dept. replied – from the people that posted about that, they were notified that they were WL.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe they did not. Last year, NW sent out a first wave of rejections, then WL/final rejections. This second wave was in mid-March thru April. I noticed some applicants emailed the dept. around March 9th asking about their status and the dept. replied – from the people that posted about that, they were notified that they were WL.

Thank you for looking into it and sharing! There is still hope!

Can confirm. I am one of the Cornell acceptances posted on GC. Received an e-mail and there is also a general decision letter on applyweb website.

Interesting. 2 years ago when I applied I don't think Cornell's econ dept used applyweb website to release letter, instead ppl just get communication via emails only.

Should I expect IR from Cornell and BC if I have not heard back? There seems to be much fewer acceptances on gradcafe than previous years...

always wait until confirmed waitlist to assume IR... one big takeaway from this year is that schools may always send results in batches, so if you only see acceptance, there is a significant chance that they will send out more. Good luck!

I think 11-20 schools are admitting a relatively small cohort and putting a lot of people on the waitlists. They are trying to poach top 10 students through a wait-and-see approach. April is going to be interesting for sure.

I have not actually compared the numbers but it kind of feels like more schools are interviewing this year, probably for this reason and cause of what funnyman said. I have had 3 interviews and at least one was at a school that I don't think normally interviews..

I have not actually compared the numbers but it kind of feels like more schools are interviewing this year, probably for this reason and cause of what funnyman said. I have had 3 interviews and at least one was at a school that I don't think normally interviews..

Do you think the interviews have anything to do with dropping GRE requirements as well?

Do you think the interviews have anything to do with dropping GRE requirements as well?

I don't really have a guess about that. My impression is most candidates chose to go ahead and take/submit the GRE anyways.

I think petheory is correct that the spread/normalization of zoom due to COVID might make programs more likely to set up a quick chat.

I'm on the waitlist and received the open house invite. Looks like the schedule involves presentations from fields, interactions with faculty and current PhD students, and a formal Q&A with the DGS and Prof. Cosar.

Last year, seems like they had a "strong waitlist" but invited everyone to this open day. Maybe this year they changed their approach.

I'm on the waitlist and received the open house invite. Looks like the schedule involves presentations from fields, interactions with faculty and current PhD students, and a formal Q&A with the DGS and Prof. Cosar.

Last year, seems like they had a "strong waitlist" but invited everyone to this open day. Maybe this year they changed their approach.

Agreed. I was waitlisted but not invited to the open day, so congrats on being way in front of me LOL. I also think UVA drastically shrank their waitlist size this year because the reports on GC are just way fewer than 2020&2019 levels. And I remember one post from last cycle that mentioned how UVA admitted that they had inadvertently accepted too many people in the first round due to the trickle down/up from other schools, so this year's first round admission number seems a bit on the small side as well.

I guess UMD is done? Only a handful of acceptances and waitlists got posted on gradcafe. I'm pretty disappointed not to receive anything since I was waitlisted 2 years ago and overall am doing better this time around. Seems like they may be pretty limited by COVID.

• Erin featured this topic
  • Erin unpinned this topic