Urch Forums

2021 Sweat Thread

tm_member

I guess UMD is done? Only a handful of acceptances and waitlists got posted on gradcafe. I'm pretty disappointed not to receive anything since I was waitlisted 2 years ago and overall am doing better this time around. Seems like they may be pretty limited by COVID.

I'm doing a pre-doc in DC and heard on several occasions that UMD is especially limited funding wise relative to most schools.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess UMD is done? Only a handful of acceptances and waitlists got posted on gradcafe. I'm pretty disappointed not to receive anything since I was waitlisted 2 years ago and overall am doing better this time around. Seems like they may be pretty limited by COVID.

Dude, if you are doing better this round, there's no need to dwell on the result from one school. The process is always random and you never know. I have a friend who was admitted JHU and UVA 3 years ago, but decided to do a masters at top5. He ended up being rejected by JHU and waitlisted by UVA this year...

Not to sound super anxious, but I got an update on my Rochester portal. It says "Decision Released", but no date and the link leads to a page that says "There is no update to your application status to report." Does anyone else see this? It's been there for maybe an hour.

Me too. I guess previous rejections/acceptances are real and they are slowly releasing decisions. The admins are probably loading the letters (or have loaded them), and all will pop out at the same time.

Dude, if you are doing better this round, there's no need to dwell on the result from one school. The process is always random and you never know. I have a friend who was admitted JHU and UVA 3 years ago, but decided to do a masters at top5. He ended up being rejected by JHU and waitlisted by UVA this year...

That's absolutely brutal. I'm going to take my offers and run, because applying a third time (which you can't do at many schools) is not an option for me, but I think I'll always kind of wonder what my outcomes would have been if we weren't facing these covid restrictions.

To those thinking about reapplying next year, do you think admissions will be back to normal? Or even easier than normal, if some schools play catch-up with a larger cohort? Or is this going to ripple out for a few years?

That's absolutely brutal. I'm going to take my offers and run, because applying a third time (which you can't do at many schools) is not an option for me, but I think I'll always kind of wonder what my outcomes would have been if we weren't facing these covid restrictions.

To those thinking about reapplying next year, do you think admissions will be back to normal? Or even easier than normal, if some schools play catch-up with a larger cohort? Or is this going to ripple out for a few years?

Fall 2022 entry should be much easier than this cycle (if not easier than precovid year), as the schools I've talked to are going to be less generous about granting deferrals this year than last year, so my guess is next year is going to be much less impacted.

Has anyone else received the no-funding, maybe-acceptance email from UPenn? I saw some discussion of it on GC. I know that the school had announced that it was freezing admissions early fall, but then thought that the econ department might be an exception - it announced that admissions are open on their website. Don't know what else to do except to gripe about it here. I am personally not willing to attend a program without funding. Money is tight for everyone during the pandemic, and I wish the department had been more transparent before I applied.

Edit: Sorry, didn't mean to be such a downer -- just disappointed and wondering if I missed something before I applied.

Edited by pinchofdough

@pinchofdough - I agree that they should have been more transparent about this. I suppose we could have assumed that they would be doing this since the University said that there wouldn't be graduate student funding. Nonetheless, I still applied and am disappointed about this policy, though I didn't receive the "acceptance" email.

Has anyone else received the no-funding, maybe-acceptance email from UPenn? I saw some discussion of it on GC. I know that the school had announced that it was freezing admissions early fall, but then thought that the econ department might be an exception - it announced that admissions are open on their website. Don't know what else to do except to gripe about it here. I am personally not willing to attend a program without funding. Money is tight for everyone during the pandemic, and I wish the department had been more transparent before I applied.

Edit: Sorry, didn't mean to be such a downer -- just disappointed and wondering if I missed something before I applied.

Hot take: UPenn should return our app fees.

Fall 2022 entry should be much easier than this cycle (if not easier than precovid year), as the schools I've talked to are going to be less generous about granting deferrals this year than last year, so my guess is next year is going to be much less impacted.

This is a partial-equilibrium thought. Enough applicants from this year will forego enrolling and instead re-apply this fall and some probably even held off on applying in the first place due to what was expected to be a tough year. With that in mind, I expect next year to be a bit better, but not noticeably different. Given the noise in the process you could re-apply in the fall and end up with the exact same set of offers. This might be a bigger deal the lower down the "rankings" you go.

Hot take: UPenn should return our app fees.

Seriously agree with this. To announce specifically that, even though the university was stopping PhD admissions, the department would still accept applications only to turn around and have 0 funding is not a great look.

@yitz15, my prior is that admissions at the top 5-10 will be significantly easier for Fall 2022 entry because the top applicants this cycle won't be re-applying and there's a lot less winner-take-all this cycle than usual. Thus I wouldn't bank on there being a critical mass of applicants with good offers this cycle forgoing enrollment to re-apply next year due to trickle-down. Moreover, schools aren't going to be granting nearly as many deferrals as last year.

So as long as schools return to admitting normal cohort sizes next year, next year will be significantly improved. And we have every reason to believe they will because bear in mind that it's the combination of deferrals last year and the job market being bad that forced departments to cut funding and cohort sizes this cycle to support more 6th year students.

Confused about the "outside funding" condition UPenn implied, that's basically excluding all international students, no? We aren't eligible for NSF etc.

Some countries provide grants for students studying in the US - e.g. France with the Fulbright program.

Some countries provide grants for students studying in the US - e.g. France with the Fulbright program.

I'll be really curious how many people end up taking this offer... if you're a competitive enough candidate to get into Penn AND have external funding, it seems highly likely that you have dominating offers. And it might be an odd cohort/grad school experience.

Has anyone heard back from Stern Econ? They usually sent out offers in late Feb in previous years.

They have started reaching out to people in their ‘waitlist that’s not a waitlist’ for short interviews. Stern Econ has target of 2 students this year, and the whole Stern department aims to admit only 9 students in total.

• Erin featured this topic
  • Erin unpinned this topic