Urch Forums

2021 Sweat Thread

tm_member

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know the deal with CMU Tepper interviews? I had a short one today (following up on an interest letter from them last week), and am checking gradcafe nonstop!

In the same boat except that I had the interview 2-3 weeks ago and haven’t heard back since then...! My guess is that they are targeting a very small class and really slow with the process

In the same boat except that I had the interview 2-3 weeks ago and haven’t heard back since then...! My guess is that they are targeting a very small class and really slow with the process

Yeah, I think they tend to move at their own pace... good luck!

Edit: He did say in the interview that offers will be made sequentially starting this week, and that the cohort will be a normal size. Was mainly curious what the probability of getting one is conditional on an interview!

Utterly confused by what's going on this cycle - but I'm starting to make heads and tails of it. I'm still waiting to hear back from Boston University, Boston College, Northwestern, NYU, U of Texas-Austin, Columbia, Wisconsin and Michigan (lol). I wonder how many of these could be implicit wait-lists? Makes sense given that the distribution of offers is heavily weighted towards T5 candidates this year (as schools are eager not to over-offer positions). Seems like there will be much more activity in late-March/April than in previous years. Is this a hopeful take?

Utterly confused by what's going on this cycle - but I'm starting to make heads and tails of it. I'm still waiting to hear back from Boston University, Boston College, Northwestern, NYU, U of Texas-Austin, Columbia, Wisconsin and Michigan (lol). I wonder how many of these could be implicit wait-lists? Makes sense given that the distribution of offers is heavily weighted towards T5 candidates this year (as schools are eager not to over-offer positions). Seems like there will be much more activity in late-March/April than in previous years. Is this a hopeful take?

I'm in a similar situation. I am yet to hear from BC, Northwestern, Wisconsin, MSU and some other schools (Cornell, Georgetown, U of Arizona, UNC, UCLA...). I'm considering Wisconsin and MSU as implicit rejections since they seem to have done some interviews after giving out their first round of offers (and in my case, Cornell and Georgetown as well because they seem to have released their waitlists) . It seems that BC gave out their first round of offers just last week, so I think we still have to wait and see if they will release their waitlist/possible second round of acceptances. I am hoping that not hearing from Northwestern is a good sign and maybe we are on to an implicit second round(of being considered for admission?) .

It seems that schools are being extra careful not to accept too many students this year, given limited amount of funding and slots. Having that said, I think it is reasonable to expect a lot of movement&changes just before the April 15th deadline. If students with multiple top school offers make their decisions and decline other schools, others in the waitlist will be able to move up&there will be a chain of additional acceptances(or at least I hope so!)

Anybody who got an offer from Minnesota willing to share the funding package + TA requirements? I would really appreciate it!

My package was ~$18k stipend (but I'll be responsible for ~$1900 in fees)

"Teaching duties for first-year students most often consist of leading three recitation (or discussion) sections of introductory microeconomics or macroeconomics each semester. In this case, you will meet for 50 minutes per week for 14 weeks with three separate groups of students, each of whom is also attending three lectures a week in a large lecture session."

"You are also expected to attend class lectures, so that you will know what is appropriate to discuss in the recitation section, as well as help formulate, grade and proctor examinations. Your duties include grading homework assignments and exams, however, you may receive some help from graders. In future years, you may be offered a chance to teach courses independently. These instructor positions pay more per hour based on class size."

~20hrs/week

My package was ~$18k stipend (but I'll be responsible for ~$1900 in fees)

"Teaching duties for first-year students most often consist of leading three recitation (or discussion) sections of introductory microeconomics or macroeconomics each semester. In this case, you will meet for 50 minutes per week for 14 weeks with three separate groups of students, each of whom is also attending three lectures a week in a large lecture session."

"You are also expected to attend class lectures, so that you will know what is appropriate to discuss in the recitation section, as well as help formulate, grade and proctor examinations. Your duties include grading homework assignments and exams, however, you may receive some help from graders. In future years, you may be offered a chance to teach courses independently. These instructor positions pay more per hour based on class size."

~20hrs/week

Thank you!

This is definitely the right take. Columbia doing interviews is even new, so that slows down the process too. I expect there to be lots of movement in late March and early April too.

Anyone know what’s going on with the University of Washington? Only a few GC results and they seem to be for WUSTL

From my limited understanding, they've sent out emails to gauge applicants' interest in the program before making official offers. I received one myself before the bunch of rejections went up on GC. No info on cohort sizes or waitlists though.

What schools are yall still waiting on first round decisions from? I think UNC is the only one on my list still to come, I think there's 1 or 2 acceptances on GC but I'd think there'll be a few more. Waiting on Pittsburgh as well after an interview. Getting very close to the end though!

What schools are yall still waiting on first round decisions from? I think UNC is the only one on my list still to come, I think there's 1 or 2 acceptances on GC but I'd think there'll be a few more. Waiting on Pittsburgh as well after an interview. Getting very close to the end though!

I'm still waiting on 8!!! 4 I can safely assume are IR, then UNC, UCSB, USC, Colorado-Boulder. I saw some UCSB yesterday but I'm not sure if they're done.

I am waiting on UNC, UCLA and U of A, although I will probably decline U of A since I already have a dominating offer. I am also waiting to be confirmed rejection from MSU, Wisconsin and Cornell....

Anyone heard back from Northwestern yet? Saw that there were more rejections on GC over the weekend; but I still haven't gotten anything yet.

I was in the same situation but was rejected last weekend. It may not be a bad sign that you haven't heard back yet...good luck!

So is everyone who had not received anything prior to today from Northwestern getting waitlist? I cannot imagine how large the waitlist is...

Judging from the e-mail I would say it's either a larger than normal waitlist, or they have reason to believe the number of admits from the waitlist will be small.

Judging from the e-mail I would say it's either a larger than normal waitlist, or they have reason to believe the number of admits from the waitlist will be small.

I completely agree and it is not very promising... At least a number of my friends are on the WL and it would be brutal.

I didn't get a waitlist notification and I haven't heard anything from NW, so probably not

And I'm sorry, hope you have better offers than this and good luck...

• Erin featured this topic
  • Erin unpinned this topic