Urch Forums

2021 Sweat Thread

tm_member

Judging from the e-mail I would say it's either a larger than normal waitlist, or they have reason to believe the number of admits from the waitlist will be small.

Also waitlisted by Northwestern. May I ask what in the email signals that the waitlist will be especially difficult to gain admission from?

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also waitlisted by Northwestern. May I ask what in the email signals that the waitlist will be especially difficult to gain admission from?

I might be reading too much into this, but I feel like this sentence indicates there is a relatively small chance of being admitted off the waitlist:

"This is a special year in many ways, and we would like to stress that there is considerable uncertainty (more than in a typical year) about the final outcome of this admission process."

I might be reading too much into this, but I feel like this sentence indicates there is a relatively small chance of being admitted off the waitlist:

"This is a special year in many ways, and we would like to stress that there is considerable uncertainty (more than in a typical year) about the final outcome of this admission process."

I would imagine a very(relatively) large waitlist, since there has not been a lot of rejections, and a bunch of my friends and their friends are being waitlisted.

Not saying it's impossible to be admitted off the list, but from what we have now it would be pretty hard.

And I'd like to be wrong here... I am also on the waitlist...

Good luck everyone

Ah, I read that as them not knowing how their admits would behave, and more (or less) admits than expected could select different schools. Looking now, I think that your reading is more accurate.

Ah, I read that as them not knowing how their admits would behave, and more (or less) admits than expected could select different schools. Looking now, I think that your reading is more accurate.

To be honest I have no idea if my take is correct or not haha. It could be that you are right and it really is just that they believe data from previous years don't provide a good indicator of what will happen this year. My prior is that because of smaller cohorts at other top schools, more admits than normal will accept Northwestern's offer. It is possible that they already accounted for this with a smaller admit number though -- and if they over corrected more people will be admitted from the waitlist than normal.

Does anyone know anything about the interviews for USC posted on GC? Wondering if they'll accept any candidates not invited to an interview.

I was wondering the same, some rejections already went out but there are only 2 interview invites on GC so far and no other acceptances or waitlists.

I was wondering the same, some rejections already went out but there are only 2 interview invites on GC so far and no other acceptances or waitlists.

Yeah it's odd. It's got me nervous since USC is probably my top choice right now and the only one left that I'm really anxious to hear back from (except Georgetown but I'm taking that as an IR at this point).

Yeah it's odd. It's got me nervous since USC is probably my top choice right now and the only one left that I'm really anxious to hear back from (except Georgetown but I'm taking that as an IR at this point).

Georgetown sent out a round of offers but no waitlists, right? Definitely not a good sign not to have heard back (I haven't either) but I think it's too early to assume it's a reject.

Georgetown sent out a round of offers but no waitlists, right? Definitely not a good sign not to have heard back (I haven't either) but I think it's too early to assume it's a reject.

Yup that seems to be the case. It is perhaps too early to assume a rejection though. I do wish they'd get decisions out soon though, April 15th is coming around soon... I guess they'll wait and see how many people accept their offer, so it might be a while until we hear back.

Yup that seems to be the case. It is perhaps too early to assume a rejection though. I do wish they'd get decisions out soon though, April 15th is coming around soon... I guess they'll wait and see how many people accept their offer, so it might be a while until we hear back.

Speak of the devil -- looks like they're rolling out rejections now. I've got no change on the website yet but we'll see what happens. Like everyone's saying, I think there will be a ton of movement before and after the April 15th deadline.

Speak of the devil -- looks like they're rolling out rejections now. I've got no change on the website yet but we'll see what happens. Like everyone's saying, I think there will be a ton of movement before and after the April 15th deadline.

Just saw that! I've got no change to the website either. Guess it'll be a mad dash around April 15th.

So far I've not heard back from UC Davis and San Diego. I would guess both are waitlist? I emailed UCSD last week and they say they will try to release by this week, and Davis has not got back to me.

Haven't heard from UCSD or UC Davis either. I am also assuming they have put us on an implicit waitlist and are waiting to see what their yield is like. I just hope they let us know soon.

Does anyone know what exactly is the deadline for getting/accepting an offer? I know in general it's April 15, but is there a specific hour which is binding for all schools or something like that? Thanks

https://cgsnet.org/ckfinder/userfiles/files/2020%20April%2015%20Resolution%20FAQ%209_2020.pdf

What time on April 15 is the deadline?The deadline should be 11:59 pm of April 15 in the time zone of the school offering financial support

I haven’t heard back from UCLA, UC Davis, UT Austin and UMD. Does anyone know if these schools are sending more acceptances/waitlists. Will probably email them if no one here has info.

Also haven't heard from UT or UMD, but based on how I'm doing with comparable schools I'm assuming IR (doesn't mean you should). If you email them would you let us know the response?

I haven’t heard back from UCLA, UC Davis, UT Austin and UMD. Does anyone know if these schools are sending more acceptances/waitlists. Will probably email them if no one here has info.

Have not heard from UC-Davis or UT-Austin as well. UT Austin especially has released a lot rejections and no WLs; would assume that you're on some version of a waitlist there, although you may never hear so.

UC-Davis waitlisted some people in their first round; sounded like an encouraging email based on GC. Those people are probably ahead of us in the pecking order. They have also released some rejections, so wouldn't assume IR. There will be a second round here and at UT-Austin.

I would likely assume IR at UMD though. They've released acceptances along with a two tier waitlist (I'm on this). They haven't released rejections.

No idea on UCLA.

I also haven't heard from UCLA so I e-mailed UCLA about the status of my application a few days ago. They replied that they were still going through applications so I guess they are still sending acceptances.

Have not heard from UC-Davis or UT-Austin as well. UT Austin especially has released a lot rejections and no WLs; would assume that you're on some version of a waitlist there, although you may never hear so.

UC-Davis waitlisted some people in their first round; sounded like an encouraging email based on GC. Those people are probably ahead of us in the pecking order. They have also released some rejections, so wouldn't assume IR. There will be a second round here and at UT-Austin.

I would likely assume IR at UMD though. They've released acceptances along with a two tier waitlist (I'm on this). They haven't released rejections.

No idea on UCLA.

May I ask how do you know about Davis's waitlist? Not sure what's the strategy of sending a first-round waitlist while having a bunch awaiting.

• Erin featured this topic
  • Erin unpinned this topic