Urch Forums

2021 Sweat Thread

tm_member

May I ask how do you know about Davis's waitlist? Not sure what's the strategy of sending a first-round waitlist while having a bunch awaiting.

Just reading through grad cafe; I have no special knowledge.

A poster on 2/25 stated that they were waitlisted and received a message stating that UC-Davis had a "conservative first round" and the following sentence: "I want to stress again that I am using the word 'waitlist' for lack of a better word". I interpret this information by thinking that the applicants to which the program has actively reached out and waitlisted likely have a leg up relative to us who haven't heard anything.

I'd be very happy to be wrong though.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just reading through grad cafe; I have no special knowledge.

A poster on 2/25 stated that they were waitlisted and received a message stating that UC-Davis had a "conservative first round" and the following sentence: "I want to stress again that I am using the word 'waitlist' for lack of a better word". I interpret this information by thinking that the applicants to which the program has actively reached out and waitlisted likely have a leg up relative to us who haven't heard anything.

I'd be very happy to be wrong though.

Yeah I saw that too... but really not sure if it's a troll or Davis is using a weird strategy here. Hopefully they will release soon. I emailed them last week and still haven't heard back. Good luck!

I emailed them two weeks ago. The answer was that they think that they would not be able to offer me a spot in their PhD program. The number of applications this year increased by around 50%. My application status has not changed on the website.

I emailed them two weeks ago. The answer was that they think that they would not be able to offer me a spot in their PhD program. The number of applications this year increased by around 50%. My application status has not changed on the website.

Is this for UC Davis?

This cycle is the worst. Almost all of my programs say they've received a record number of applications for an unusually small number of slots. I got my 4th waitlist today, so it looks unlikely I'll be able to make a decision until right up to April 15th.

I know everyone's in the same spot, just venting...

This cycle is the worst. Almost all of my programs say they've received a record number of applications for an unusually small number of slots. I got my 4th waitlist today, so it looks unlikely I'll be able to make a decision until right up to April 15th.

I know everyone's in the same spot, just venting...

I got a similar response from UC irvine when I asked if there's much movement of the waitlist, I was told there's much less movement this year because fewer acceptances were made.

Also haven't heard from UT or UMD, but based on how I'm doing with comparable schools I'm assuming IR (doesn't mean you should). If you email them would you let us know the response?

Emailed UT and got a reply back saying I’ve been rejected. So if you haven’t heard back, it’s probably IR

Does anyone know what's going on with UNC? It's really the only school I'm waiting on still. There have been 2 (?) acceptances on GC but nothing other than that, so I have no idea if they're just accepting a really small cohort or if they haven't really released decisions yet.

Does anyone know what's going on with UNC? It's really the only school I'm waiting on still. There have been 2 (?) acceptances on GC but nothing other than that, so I have no idea if they're just accepting a really small cohort or if they haven't really released decisions yet.

I wrote them one week ago. They answered that they will be releasing decisions between mid march and late april.

I wrote them one week ago. They answered that they will be releasing decisions between mid march and late april.

Good to know, thanks. I guess there's an advantage for a school like UNC, that might have been a "safety" for really qualified applicants, because if they release their decisions late March a lot of people will go ahead and quickly decline because they got in somewhere better.

I think I'm basically done for the cycle! I technically have 3 left (UMD, USC, UNC) but based on GC and how I've been faring this cycle, I'm comfortable assuming rejections. Ended up with 1a & 2wl so I'll wait a little longer to make my decision, but thank you all for the camaraderie, good luck, and I'll see you in the profile & results thread.

Could you share whom you sent the email to and when you received the reply? I also sent to the coordinator twice but haven't heard back.

I sent the coordinator an email last week and have not got replies yet... this cycle is just weird...

A week ago, someone in this thread replied me that Stern already started interviewing candidates. So I'm wondering if anyone heard something from Stern.

That was me. Visit day is on March 26. If you haven’t heard back from them I guess it’s most likely an IR. But this year you really can’t tell until much later.

A week ago, someone in this thread replied me that Stern already started interviewing candidates. So I'm wondering if anyone heard something from Stern.

That was me. Visit day is on March 26. If you haven’t heard back from them I guess it’s most likely an IR. But this year you really can’t tell until much later.

Shoot guess I missed that. Had thought I'd be a good candidate for them but I guess not. Thanks for updating us, stressedcookie.

For Wisconsin, there are ppl(including me) that have not been interviewed or notified of acceptance/waitlist/rejections. Is there anyone with some detailed/inside info on this? I know there's high chance that we are going to be rejected soon, but why the heck does Wisc want to do this...

I understand if a school sent out acceptance and waitlist first but no rejections since it will be the admissions instead of the department to do the "honor" of rejecting, but this has taken way too long for Wisconsin(first accept in mid Feb) and I would even hope that a rejection letter to come ASAP to make my mind stop wondering...

For Wisconsin, there are ppl(including me) that have not been interviewed or notified of acceptance/waitlist/rejections. Is there anyone with some detailed/inside info on this? I know there's high chance that we are going to be rejected soon, but why the heck does Wisc want to do this...

I understand if a school sent out acceptance and waitlist first but no rejections since it will be the admissions instead of the department to do the "honor" of rejecting, but this has taken way too long for Wisconsin(first accept in mid Feb) and I would even hope that a rejection letter to come ASAP to make my mind stop wondering...

Hello. I already recieved my rejection. The email was sent by the chair of admissions for the PhD (JF), but I think they only sent the rejection to check if I wanted to be considered for the Master program (already declined since I have offers for PhD). I guess general rejections are going to come straight from the graduate admissions office.

Hello. I already recieved my rejection. The email was sent by the chair of admissions for the PhD (JF), but I think they only sent the rejection to check if I wanted to be considered for the Master program (already declined since I have offers for PhD). I guess general rejections are going to come straight from the graduate admissions office.

Sorry for the rejection. Did you get any interview?

• Erin featured this topic
  • Erin unpinned this topic