Urch Forums

2021 Sweat Thread

tm_member

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. I knew the waitlist wasn't as simple as one in-on out, but I actually didn't know that schools sent our more acceptances than they had places. I guess they know what they're doing.

I think schools are doing this less this year. I have had one program that waitlisted me explicitly say that they are only sending out as many offers as they have places, even though they know that many of those offers will be ultimately turned down. With budget restrictions, most programs are terrified of too many people accepting so they have to be more cautious than normal.

It's a little more complicated than that. Most schools (not all) send out more acceptances than they have places. As a result, a small number of people declining offers may not cause the school to go to the waitlist at all.

I will say that my experience so far this year is that people have been more prompt than usual about declining offers and declining positions on the waitlist. Very helpful to all and certainly appreciated.

Another waitlist related question. Should I let the department at school A (my 1a choice) know that I would accept their offer conditional on me not getting off the waitlist at school B (my 1b choice), or should I not mention school B? Would it be better for me to tell school A that I would prefer their offer to any school at which I have been accepted? I am trying to maximize my chances of getting off the waitlist at school A in this case.

Some important notes are that school B typically has better standing on rankings (like US news); school B is ranked between 5-10 and school A is ranked between 15-20. Would it help me seem like a more desirable candidate to let school A know that I am on the waitlist at school B? Also, I am truly unclear which department I would prefer if given offers from each.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this. I really want give myself the best shot in this season.

Another waitlist related question. Should I let the department at school A (my 1a choice) know that I would accept their offer conditional on me not getting off the waitlist at school B (my 1b choice), or should I not mention school B? Would it be better for me to tell school A that I would prefer their offer to any school at which I have been accepted? I am trying to maximize my chances of getting off the waitlist at school A in this case.

Some important notes are that school B typically has better standing on rankings (like US news); school B is ranked between 5-10 and school A is ranked between 15-20. Would it help me seem like a more desirable candidate to let school A know that I am on the waitlist at school B? Also, I am truly unclear which department I would prefer if given offers from each.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this. I really want give myself the best shot in this season.

I would be cautious about making commitments before you have thoroughly research these programs, talked to current students, etc. Maybe you know enough already to be sure.

Honestly, there isn't much you can do at this point. It can't hurt to let schools know that you are excited about going there, but also on the waitlist at School B. But it likely won't have much affect either way.

I think schools are doing this less this year. I have had one program that waitlisted me explicitly say that they are only sending out as many offers as they have places, even though they know that many of those offers will be ultimately turned down. With budget restrictions, most programs are terrified of too many people accepting so they have to be more cautious than normal.

Can confirm that one of the faculty members at a school I'm waitlisted at also told me that they're sending out exactly the amount of acceptances as their desired class size (and I'm assuming waitlisting more people than usual to account for the offers that will be turned down).

Need to vent this out: I am on the waitlist of both Northwestern and Wisconsin. Although I have other offers, but those 2 are dominating. Man I just hope the time can move faster and there can be some waitlist activities among those 2. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck everyone!

Need to vent this out: I am on the waitlist of both Northwestern and Wisconsin. Although I have other offers, but those 2 are dominating. Man I just hope the time can move faster and there can be some waitlist activities among those 2. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Good luck everyone!

I feel you. I'm on the waitlist for USC and though it's not completely dominating other offers, I'd most likely choose it if I got off the waitlist. I really hope things start finalizing soon so I at least know. Good luck!

That's not the worst problem to have... hahaha. Good luck to you!!!

I feel you. I'm on the waitlist for USC and though it's not completely dominating other offers, I'd most likely choose it if I got off the waitlist. I really hope things start finalizing soon so I at least know. Good luck!

I'm there with JHU and WUSTL... think there's a lot of people in this position this year. Couple more weeks.

I am one of those people who haven't heard back from UCLA and was notified by Wisconsin to wait until April 1st because my application is "still in review". These two schools strictly dominate my other offers so I am really anxious these days...I am trying not to have too much hope but still :(

I am one of those people who haven't heard back from UCLA and was notified by Wisconsin to wait until April 1st because my application is "still in review". These two schools strictly dominate my other offers so I am really anxious these days...I am trying not to have too much hope but still :(

same boat with UCLA

hang in there my friend...

it's gonna be a bumpy ride in 2 weeks and hopefully things can be good

That's not the worst problem to have... hahaha. Good luck to you!!!

I'm more than grateful that I'm accepted at places that I am willing to go, but the wait is def killing me... and I kind of feel bad that I cannot let go the current offer sooner in case I am lucky enough to be off the lists... really this system is really messed up...

same boat with UCLA

hang in there my friend...

it's gonna be a bumpy ride in 2 weeks and hopefully things can be good

Thanks. I hope you hear good news from the waitlisted schools in the upcoming days.

Meanwhile, lets hope that UCLA releases their results as soon as they can...XD

Can feel the same. I was waitlisted by Wisconsin and hasn't seen much movement (at least not on GC). No info on their waitlist as well. Hope I can fast forward to April. Good luck to all those who are anxiously waiting now!

Still haven't heard back from Maryland even though they've sent out acceptances, rejections and waitlists. They told me few days ago that they'll be making offers all the way till April 15. Seems like they're just playing it super safe

Has UMD sent out rejections? The only rejections I see on GC are for the Ag Econ program. I'd love for this to be true but given they're taking a super small class and already sent out WL I think no word from them is probably an IR.

Still waiting on any word from bunch of schools (UNC, UT Austin, Ohio State).

Leaves a bad taste in my mouth to have heard nothing so close to the deadline. The rational thing is to assume IR (although UT has rejected a bunch of people, so maybe IW).

But I think the basic social contract should be to at least give applicants some sort of notification before the end of March. Especially since we're paying to apply!

Has UMD sent out rejections? The only rejections I see on GC are for the Ag Econ program. I'd love for this to be true but given they're taking a super small class and already sent out WL I think no word from them is probably an IR.

I'm accepted but they mentioned in the acceptance email that they were not offering funding to anyone at the moment, and are going to make the decision potentially this week(around 4.1).

And to your question, i don't think they have, but to be fair i think they may just leave it to the graduate admissions. So far even I have not received anything from their graduate admissions yet, just the department.

Sorry, this year is just awful...

• Erin featured this topic
  • Erin unpinned this topic