Urch Forums

2021 Sweat Thread

tm_member

Apparently, Harvard econ admission has been cut by more than a half this year.

Any idea if they've actually cut their cohort target size in half, or just their admission offers? I imagine with all the weirdness this year schools might be a little more conservative in making their offers.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone has posted UNC admission on gradcafe...can anyone verify??I have applied but I have not heard anything from them...and it seems really early compared to previous years

No idea, but it would be very early for them. The first school I applied to that's had something on gradcafe so I'm :eek:

A lot of schools are doing extended winter breaks and then condensed Spring semesters because of COVID... I have wondered whether that could lead to slightly earlier decisions but obviously that's just speculation.

Seems like its all coming earlier this year. Has anyone had a surprise rejection? Is the median applicant more qualified than previous years?

I've only received one rejection (Stanford) but trying to get a sense of whether rejections are up due to increased applications or a higher expectation on applicants..

University finances are up and they have saved money in 20-21. I think there is a good chance that 21 admissions will be like any other year. That’s my guess and hope!

What’s up with MIT? Anyone knows someone who got a mail?

Most likely fake news - more trolling from the EJR bros. Based on last years admissions timetable and the fact that it was posted at 6am Cambridge time. Seems unlikely.

Nvm, looked at flynnigans gradcafe app and MIT posted everything on Feb 17-24 last year. That means it's uh... actually realistic that they might have results out already.

One other thing of note from the app is that they sent out all acceptances on Feb 17, and most rejections on Feb 24. So it's possible we are just seeing the tiny fraction of accepted people xD

Or that it's EJMR trolls. That's my hope

University finances are up and they have saved money in 20-21. I think there is a good chance that 21 admissions will be like any other year. That’s my guess and hope!

We're all thinking about this a lot. My own feeling is that it will be a somewhat (but not wildly) more competitive year. I think you're generally correct about university finances, but that there may be slightly more applications due to the economic slowdown (people hedging their bets on the job market), as well as many programs reserving some funding to support more current PhD students into a 6th year than they otherwise would have.

Could also just be a weird year. Admissions committees are dealing with uncertainty just like we are, and they have to make guesses about how many offers they should send out based on their target class size without overshooting. That calculation might be more difficult if many of us have applied to more schools than normal, or if there's lingering uncertainty about how many funded slots they're going to have.

Decisions should start rolling in next week. Should we make a results thread?

Seems like a good idea.

One last quiet weekend before this thing really kicks into gear... I'm hoping/expecting to hear from Minnesota next week. It's going to be a tough school for me, and I wish I'd applied to an easier one that also tends to release offers early in the season.

• Erin featured this topic
  • Erin unpinned this topic