Urch Forums

2021 Sweat Thread

tm_member

Didn't apply to Penn, but assuming there's not a bunch of trolling they released decisions a few weeks early this year. Looks like not all are out (especially rejects) but it actually doesn't like like a drastically different year. Through the middle of February in 2020 there were about 23 acceptances and 36 rejections, while so far this year I count 19 acceptances and 26 rejects (could be off by a bit). Guessing more rejections to come.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone heard from BGSE? I've seen a couple of posts in Grad Cafe but they don't specify the stream.

Those posts are just for masters in econ. For the first time this year, BGSE's PhD track is completely separate from the masters.

I spoke to someone with BGSE today who said that they usually hope to have PhD decisions out by February 12th, but due to a high number of applicants this year are aiming for the end of the month...

Those posts are just for masters in econ. For the first time this year, BGSE's PhD track is completely separate from the masters.

I spoke to someone with BGSE today who said that they usually hope to have PhD decisions out by February 12th, but due to a high number of applicants this year are aiming for the end of the month...

I applied to the masters as a safety to PhD programs... I got in but without funding. Not much of a safety. But a potential leading indicator?

Is there any downside risk to being the only grad cafe poster about a school? I got my first offer a few days ago but haven't posted anything because no one else has. My fears are 1) if I received an early offer I might annoy the admissions committee by immediately posting and 2) people are just going to call me a troll if no one else backs it up

Is there any downside risk to being the only grad cafe poster about a school? I got my first offer a few days ago but haven't posted anything because no one else has. My fears are 1) if I received an early offer I might annoy the admissions committee by immediately posting and 2) people are just going to call me a troll if no one else backs it up

I was the first poster for the school I was accepted into! I didn't really read into this at all but my thought is adcoms are definitely not checking gradcafe, and ignore the trolls. I haven't received any trolls/disbelief about my post. I think it's great to keep GC updated for not only people this year but also people in future years to reference admit dates!

I'd be very surprised to hear that schools either check grad cafe or even care that their info is published there. I do remember seeing on this forum that someone was admitted via an individualized email from a professor who has posted here before and then that professor followed up to mention that he saw the post on this forum. Still, it didn't seem like that was a negative! I unfortunately can't find the post, but feel free to PM me and I can try help track it down if you're interested.

If the decision is a generic/less personalized one, then my thought would be there is no harm to posting it for you and benefits to the wider community if you do. People may call you a troll or ask questions on grad cafe, but I would ignore that.

Anyone have any info on Berkeley Econ and ARE? I saw on GC there's an acceptance from ARE posted and on Twitter someone said they got in to Berkeley Econ - both of them last night. From last year's GC posts, this is right around the time Berkeley Econ went out.

Anyone have any info on Berkeley Econ and ARE? I saw on GC there's an acceptance from ARE posted and on Twitter someone said they got in to Berkeley Econ - both of them last night. From last year's GC posts, this is right around the time Berkeley Econ went out.

I'm the Berkeley ARE acceptance on GC. I think the only useful thing I can say is that none of my friends/coworkers have heard back yet and their profiles are strong. I'd expect more to come soon though based on previous years.

Did someone receive a Chicago offer? Not sure if the two posts on GC are troll. I think they are but Chicago usually releases its offers around this time so...

I was one of the posts, sorry it seems like a troll. I got a call this afternoon. Only thing worth sharing is that they mentioned the class size will be slightly smaller than in the past. Good luck to everyone else!

Congrats Wahasky for getting into University of Chicago! :)

nooo I got into University of Illinois in Chicago, but definitely not the University of Chicago (did not apply there). UIC was probably my "safest" school in terms of rank but I love Chicago, like the program, and with so much uncertainty this year I'm honestly thrilled to start off with an offer.

Good luck/congrats to everyone who applied to the University of Chicago though!

I was one of the posts, sorry it seems like a troll. I got a call this afternoon. Only thing worth sharing is that they mentioned the class size will be slightly smaller than in the past. Good luck to everyone else!

Oh I see, likely an ir then. Congrats man!

nooo I got into University of Illinois in Chicago, but definitely not the University of Chicago (did not apply there). UIC was probably my "safest" school in terms of rank but I love Chicago, like the program, and with so much uncertainty this year I'm honestly thrilled to start off with an offer.

Good luck/congrats to everyone who applied to the University of Chicago though!

Congrats! Can I ask when you got your acceptance? I've been going back and forth with UIC over some of my required documents for almost two weeks. I'm a little nervous that even if I get things straightened out, it will be too late.

• Erin featured this topic
  • Erin unpinned this topic