Urch Forums

2021 Sweat Thread

tm_member

I would also add working at a Federal Reserve branch. At least four of the admits to Stanford work at or have worked at a branch of the Federal Reserve (I am part of this year's admitted cohort by Stanford).

It certainly helps but one reason that is true is that the Federal Reserve hires the vast majority of RAs. There is also a selection effect for the NY Fed, where hiring is extremely competitive. Among RAs at my branch, there are always a number of excellent placement outcomes but, honestly, merely solid to good ones seem to be modal.

Many Federal Reserve RAs use it as a launching pad to get more coveted RA jobs, which tells you what you need to know imo.

• Replies 789
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It certainly helps but one reason that is true is that the Federal Reserve hires the vast majority of RAs. There is also a selection effect for the NY Fed, where hiring is extremely competitive. Among RAs at my branch, there are always a number of excellent placement outcomes but, honestly, merely solid to good ones seem to be modal.

Many Federal Reserve RAs use it as a launching pad to get more coveted RA jobs, which tells you what you need to know imo.

Agreed, the New York Fed RAship is very competitive and probably the most "comparable" to top 5-10 predocs, but to the original point, I'm not sure if top 5-10 predocs are necessarily less competitive than the New York Fed RAship (I have no idea tbh!)

Based on the results I've seen so far from Stanford, Yale and UChicago, looks like a pre-doc from top 5-10 really boosts your chances of scoring an admit, more so than a Q170 or a 4.0 GPA.

Honestly, this is the biggest thing that I don’t think people realize. I’m a top 5 pre-doc & can think of people without 4.0 or with Q168/169 (not 170) who got into Chicago (this time) /Harvard (last time).

IMO, predoc is the single best thing to do to increase likelihood of admission. Of course, selection into top 5 RA is severe, but even conditional on the selection, the extra two years to develop research ideas and write a strong personal statement, get strong letters, publish/coathur in NBER. Very few people (certainly not me) we able to do that as seniors in undergrad.

Honestly, this is the biggest thing that I don’t think people realize. I’m a top 5 pre-doc & can think of people without 4.0 or with Q168/169 (not 170) who got into Chicago (this time) /Harvard (last time).

IMO, predoc is the single best thing to do to increase likelihood of admission. Of course, selection into top 5 RA is severe, but even conditional on the selection, the extra two years to develop research ideas and write a strong personal statement, get strong letters, publish/coathur in NBER. Very few people (certainly not me) we able to do that as seniors in undergrad.

Plus once you get above a certain point, your GRE score doesn't matter. It's really just used as a cutoff.

Anyone heard back from JHU Econ? Saw one poster on GC.received interview call.

Not the poster from GC but I also did an interview for JHU. Received an email and we scheduled it a couple days later. Not sure if they sent everything yet. They told me that results should be out by the end of the month. Also that their targeted class was smaller than usual due to students delaying the job market because things are so bad this year.

Not the poster from GC but I also did an interview for JHU. Received an email and we scheduled it a couple days later. Not sure if they sent everything yet. They told me that results should be out by the end of the month. Also that their targeted class was smaller than usual due to students delaying the job market because things are so bad this year.

Hey! Thanks for the information. Small class sizes!

:wallbash:

What schools are we expecting this week? Seems like University of Minnesota for sure. I'm waiting on UNC as well, in 2019 they sent out results second week of February but last year it was later so not sure.

Other places that were out by the 2nd week of February last year were Brown, Cornell, and Duke. Wouldn't surprise me if CyTwombly's hope that more schools will send out decisions earlier this year ends up being true.

Other places that were out by the 2nd week of February last year were Brown, Cornell, and Duke. Wouldn't surprise me if CyTwombly's hope that more schools will send out decisions earlier this year ends up being true.

Sure would be nice. A lot of schools started their semester late this year due to COVID which theoretically would give more time in January to devote to reviewing applications. We've got a few people on this forum on adcoms but I don't think any of them have commented on the veracity/reason behind earlier decisions this year.

Edited by Wahasky
spelling

Any idea whether no interview invitation at this point is an implicit rejection?

For JHU applicants: They told me that all applicants who passed some kind of first step selection will be interviewed. So no itw is probably a bad sign. That being said, I don't know if they sent out all interviews yet or if they will sent out new interviews if some applicants don't match or decline.

Sorry not to be able to bring better news :(

For JHU applicants: They told me that all applicants who passed some kind of first step selection will be interviewed. So no itw is probably a bad sign. That being said, I don't know if they sent out all interviews yet or if they will sent out new interviews if some applicants don't match or decline.

Sorry not to be able to bring better news :(

This was always one of my reaches, so it's unfortunate but not surprising. Thanks for the info!

• Erin featured this topic
  • Erin unpinned this topic