Urch Forums

Fall 2021 PhD start - PhD Applicant Sweat Thread

plzletmein

Hi,

Can someone please elaborate on what is to be expected in the interviews? I have probed across multiple forums but haven't been able to get something concrete.

I do understand that it would involve the basic, "Why PhD", "Why us", "Why now" and some check into the stuff mentioned in CV/SOP. But what bothers me is how deep do they probe us on our research interests? Do we need to read research papers and be able to stay on top of work done thus far? Does it involve answering questions such as "Where would you get the data from? What kind of data? Discuss some paper?" I am an MBA so exposure to research has been limited hence answering above questions would require extensive time to be devoted.

Any help in the form of a link or elaborate response from you good Samaritans is appreciated.

Happy New Year, and hope we may get the schools that best suit us!

PS: PhD in Finance applicant

This question definitely has been asked before, but the search function on here isn't great. I remember that a user named Hedgequant wrote about 2 very different experiences in finance interviews a few years ago. I found his profile, but I haven't looked for the post I'm talking about. I think it was titled "a tale of two interviews" or something like that:

https://www.www.urch.com/forums/members/hedgequant.html

The answers to "Why PhD?" and "Why us?" should include some references to research. You should be familiar with the broad areas of finance research and the big people in those areas at the schools that you apply to. I didn't experience anyone asking about a specific research idea, but it could come up. It is expected that most people will change the details of their research interests throughout a program, so they shouldn't expect you to be too specific. A lot of the time interviews overlap with research presentations, but that probably isn't happening this year.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody didn’t get that email from Indiana University? I didn’t get one- hope that’s not a bad sign!

I think its fine. I believe that its just an automatic mail once they have processed your application. I submitted mine on 15th Dec. In case you submitted after that, your mail could be on the way.

The anxiety is suffocating. And I am just not able to work on the last 2 applications due 15th jan.

I feel you BrandFreak, I am struggling to get through my last one too! Good luck with the ones you have remaining. We are almost to the finish line!

Good luck to all applicants this year!

I certainly remember the anxiety when I applied. Try to take good care of yourselves. This can be a long period of anxiety, with the anxiety changing from one step to another in this PhD journey. But it can also be a very exciting, positive and rewarding journey, so I hope you can all enjoy the ride despite the anxiety.

From GradCafe, it seems as though some people also heard back from Haas and Marshall. Seems like marketing departments haven’t send anything yet, though?

I am kinda doubtful about the legitimacy of the accounting post for Marshall. The deadline is 15th Jan. Its highly unlikely that they send out an interview invite so early. Could be, but doubt it.

Yeah, I agree about Marshall. I think the HBS posts are legit (although I think you can still get interviews with faculty without having gotten the first-round with admin, so don't lose hope). Not sure about Haas, although it seems like they do indeed move quickly based on past years, so that's a bit of a bummer.

I am kinda doubtful about the legitimacy of the accounting post for Marshall. The deadline is 15th Jan. Its highly unlikely that they send out an interview invite so early. Could be, but doubt it.

I wonder why would someone lie about that though? They gain nothing tbh

Also, interesting how the deadline for USC (Accounting and Management) was December 15th and then they moved it to January 15th. Maybe a low number of applications?

Yes exactly, I'm quite certain this is fake. I attended a Marshall webinar after the deadlines for all streams were shifted to Jan 15th. The faculty in that session explicitly said they won't look at any applications before the official deadline, let alone send out interview invites.