Urch Forums

Fall 2021 PhD start - PhD Applicant Sweat Thread

plzletmein

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long does it normally take from final interview to admissions decision? I had a final last wed but still haven't heard back. Is that normal?

I would think so. Did you ask them about "next steps" or what to expect from the timeline during your interview? In a recent final interview this is the timeline I got:

1 week to finish interview all final candidates

1 week for the recruiting committee to come together, discuss, and select

1 week for bureaucratic internal process for the school to approve offers.

This leads up to three weeks total of waiting time within a timeframe that makes sense. My recommendation would be to always make sure to ask for next steps, decision timelines, etc. More information = less anxiety.

Hope that helps!

I would think so. Did you ask them about "next steps" or what to expect from the timeline during your interview? In a recent final interview this is the timeline I got:

1 week to finish interview all final candidates

1 week for the recruiting committee to come together, discuss, and select

1 week for bureaucratic internal process for the school to approve offers.

This leads up to three weeks total of waiting time within a timeframe that makes sense. My recommendation would be to always make sure to ask for next steps, decision timelines, etc. More information = less anxiety.

Hope that helps!

Great thank you so much. I heard from my interviewer that they had a committee late last week to make final decisions. So maybe around a week or so to go through the bureaucratic process?

Thank you for your insights, I wish you all the best this year!

I thought every university was going to reject me as I haven’t heard from any American or Canadian uni but finally yesterday I got an interview invitation from an European business school. Very excited!

For those that have already interviewed, what kind of questions were you asked? Do you have any advices? I am very nervous as it is my first interview and I do not want to mess it up!

Thanks!

I thought every university was going to reject me as I haven’t heard from any American or Canadian uni but finally yesterday I got an interview invitation from an European business school. Very excited!

For those that have already interviewed, what kind of questions were you asked? Do you have any advices? I am very nervous as it is my first interview and I do not want to mess it up!

Thanks!

Congrats! I interviewed with 5 management programs so far (so maybe this is only relevant to management). Every interview was slightly different, but for the most part they focused on asking questions about my research interests/ideas. Here's a list of some questions:

1. Tell me about yourself

2. Could you talk about your current research project (I'm a research assistant right now)

3. Could you explain your research interests in X? Why are you interested in X? (and I got a lot of follow-up questions specific to my interests that wouldn't be helpful to list here)

4. Why do you want to come to this school/program?

5. What methodologies are you interested in using?

Thanks!

This wiki has compiled interview questions from both macro and micro applicants last year. start

[business PhD Wiki]

Interviewed with 10 programs in OB/management so far, and 2 slightly challenging questions are:

1. Tell me about your favorite researcher in the field. What is a paper you read recently?

2. Why OB/management... not sociology?

Best of luck!

This wiki has compiled interview questions from both macro and micro applicants last year. start

[business PhD Wiki]

Interviewed with 10 programs in OB/management so far, and 2 slightly challenging questions are:

1. Tell me about your favorite researcher in the field. What is a paper you read recently?

2. Why OB/management... not sociology?

Best of luck!

wow 10 interviews so far, that wiki is right about how it really is winner take all. Do you mind sharing the broad stats of your application, just so we all know what it takes to get this type of reciprocity from programs?

Hey does anybody know how long does it usually take for INSEAD to get back with results after interview?

My second interviewer indicated that they've had some delays due to Covid, but that would be trying to finish up decisions in the next week or so and then would be going through the administrative process of offers.

Has anybody heard from Booth Behavioral Science?

I interviewed with them last week but haven't heard back about a decision yet.

Seems like Stanford OB (at least for micro) sent out offers without an interview... is this normal? Seems kind of weird to offer someone a 5-year position before meeting them lol.

wow 10 interviews so far, that wiki is right about how it really is winner take all. Do you mind sharing the broad stats of your application, just so we all know what it takes to get this type of reciprocity from programs?

Sure! I have a few years of working experience at a global tech company + a MA degree in sociology + a pre-doc at a top 5 business school.

I interviewed with them last week but haven't heard back about a decision yet.

Seems like Stanford OB (at least for micro) sent out offers without an interview... is this normal? Seems kind of weird to offer someone a 5-year position before meeting them lol.

Thanks for the info, I didn't see it on Grad Cafe.

As for Stanford, to my knowledge, that's normal. I gather they believe that interviews add nothing and only confound their judgment.

Thanks for the info, I didn't see it on Grad Cafe.

As for Stanford, to my knowledge, that's normal. I gather they believe that interviews add nothing and only confound their judgment.

I'm not sure whether Booth is going to continue rolling out interviews -they said they'll have final decisions around two weeks from now.

And the idea that interviews add nothing is interesting - I personally do not think any of mine helped, but if I were hiring students I'd probably at least check to make sure they weren't a psychopath.

Hello my friends,

Hope you guys are well :)

Did anybody, who applied for PhD Marketing (Quant), got interview invites or heard anything from the schools stated below?

Carnegie Mellon, USC, U of Texas Austin, U of Minnesota, Purdue, Syracuse, and U of Maryland.