Urch Forums

Fall 2021 PhD start - PhD Applicant Sweat Thread

plzletmein

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all - hope everyone's doing ok in this cycle so far! Has anyone else been waitlisted so far? Not sure how to interpret this outcome

I've been waitlisted at 3 schools so I feel you. I feel like I should come up with a ranking of the schools, but since we don't get to meet the other 'admitted' students or current students, it's pretty hard.

I've been waitlisted at 3 schools so I feel you. I feel like I should come up with a ranking of the schools, but since we don't get to meet the other 'admitted' students or current students, it's pretty hard.

Current first year student here. I'm sorry that you're in the position of waitlists extending your "limbo" period. That's no fun, though congratulations on 3 waitlists. That's something to be proud of, and definitely says very positive things about your likelihood of landing somewhere.

If you're looking to get to know these programs better, I'd recommend reaching out to current students at the schools you're waitlisted at. They'll likely be happy to speak with you, and can provide you with a more candid, up-close vision of the school and the department.

Hello my friends,

Hope you guys are well :)

Did anybody, who applied for PhD Marketing (Quant), got interview invites or heard anything from the schools stated below?

Carnegie Mellon, USC, U of Texas Austin, U of Minnesota, Purdue, Syracuse, and U of Maryland.

Still waiting. Also waiting for Texas A&M.

hello I finally decided to post. I had five rejections in a row and one rejection for scholarship. I have an interview tomorrow but I simply can't focus. I needed somewhere to talk about it - it's so disappointing, and it was too much to get these rejections in a past few days.

Rejections:

PhD Finance UNC Chapel Hill, Oxford Said

PhD Economics 3 schools (edit: thought it would be better not to disclose because here is not urch econ).

Gates scholarship rejection: Cambridge Mphil Finance - I'm still waiting for the school decision and Trust cambridge scholarship.

I am especially disappointed about UNC because everything went so well in the interview.

hello I finally decided to post. I had five rejections in a row and one rejection for scholarship. I have an interview tomorrow but I simply can't focus. I needed somewhere to talk about it - it's so disappointing, and it was too much to get these rejections in a past few days.

Rejections:

PhD Economics 3 schools (edit: thought it would be better not to disclose because here is not urch econ).

Gates scholarship rejection: Cambridge Mphil Finance - I'm still waiting for the school decision and Trust cambridge scholarship.

I am especially disappointed about UNC because everything went so well in the interview.

I'm very sorry to hear that, but just know you're not alone! I've gotten I think 4 rejections so far in the past couple weeks and been waitlisted at 2, and some are more disappointing than others for sure. This whole process can be quite emotional -- you're literally putting yourself and your ideas out there and asking people to accept you. I'm trying to take my own advice that this year is insanely competitive and picking 1 person over another can be kinda random sometimes. Don't lose hope - you could still get offers soon!

Rejections:

Hi, five rejections in a week sure sounds rough. Just wanted to remind you that this has been a rough year. One program that rejected me only took one out of over 80 applicants. Keep that in mind and look at rejections not as it being because of your qualifications, but rather that there are a lot of great candidates and that timing might be an issue. Keep your chin up and continue chasing your dreams!

Question: When would be the latest you would hear back from a university for an interview or an offer?

I've heard April 15th is like the unofficial cut off date, but does anyone know more about that?

April 15th is related to a resolution from the Council of Graduate Schools. In short, it means that applicants have until April 15th to accept an offer (if the school follows the resolution). So, for example, if you receive an offer in February, you don't need to hurry to accept the offer, you can wait to see if you get offers from other schools before making a decision.

Usually, I'd say that February is the hot month for interviews, with schools sending offers by the end of February/beginning of March.

If you don't hear anything by mid-March, chances of getting an interview or an offer are low. But it's not impossible to see that happening. Late interviews and offers are often for applicants that were waitlisted (officially or not, as school may not have informed about you being waitlisted). As applicants start to make their decisions in March, schools may then find themselves with less students than they expected if too many applicants decline their offers. Strong applicants usually get multiple offers, so it's also hard for a school to predict whether they will accept its offer or go somewhere else. And then the school can reach out to more applicants, to get the number of new students that it wants.

I don't remember what was the latest I ever saw. I remember people getting offers from top schools quite late (around the end of March), but getting something after April 15th is quite rare.

Is it normal to not be rejected from schools by now? I've applied to 13 schools and only had one rejection - and it was for a school I interviewed with (note: I've only been contacted by 4 of 13 schools concerning an interview which has resulted in 1 offer, 1 waitlist, 1 rejection, and the last still hasn't gotten back to me. So 9 schools haven't responded as of yet).

Is it normal to not be rejected from schools by now? I've applied to 13 schools and only had one rejection - and it was for a school I interviewed with (note: I've only been contacted by 4 of 13 schools concerning an interview which has resulted in 1 offer, 1 waitlist, 1 rejection, and the last still hasn't gotten back to me. So 9 schools haven't responded as of yet).

I can't speak to every school, happy to share my stats though (management / OB)

Applied to 10 schools:

- Accepted: 3

- Interviewed but Haven't Heard Back Yet: 3

- Interviewing soon: 1

- Rejected without interviews: 2

- No Response Yet: 1

Hi all, can anyone share some insights about the Bocconi Finance program? The information on other threads is dated. Have reached out to current students but any other info might be useful from the good Samaritans here. While everything about the program feels great, I'm primarily concerned about the placement which is mostly non-academic and if academic, not so great. I plan to work in Europe post PhD, so unsure if a US PhD would serve the purpose. Happy to discuss more.