Urch Forums

Fall 2021 PhD start - PhD Applicant Sweat Thread

plzletmein

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder whether all universities will be sending out rejections or not? And whether at this point there is still a chance to get admitted? I still have to hear from 12 programs...

I can't say for sure, but I'm happy to share my own stats:

Applied to 10, accepted to 4, rejected from 4, withdrew from 1 (was invited to interview day, but was already accepted to preferred programs), and 1 that i am still waiting on (I interviewed about 2 weeks ago).

Hi guys! I applied to more than 20 top 40 Finance PhD programs in the U.S. and have been interviewed by 7 of them. I was waitlisted by Yale, rejected by around 10 programs, and have not been admitted by any of them. Below are the programs that I heard back from them.

UNC Chapel Hill - Interviewed for the first round; didn't get in the 2nd round

UW Seattle - One-way interview via SpirkHire; Still waiting for response

Boston College - One-way interview via SpirkHire

UT Austin - Interviewed; was told I am in the finalist; waiting

CMU - Interviewed; waiting

Rice - 2nd round interview next week

Rochester - rejected after interview

Yale - waitlisted; no interview

I didn't see so many people discussing about the Finance PhD applications/results here. I guess I will be the first one or two haha. Is there anyone else still in the tortuous waiting game? Can you share any updates/news you have about the programs mentioned above? (Has anyone heard back from UCI and Maryland?)

Another question: Do you guys know the yield rate for Yale PhD program? How is my chance getting into Yale? Is there anyone else also waitlisted/offered?

Thank you guys! Good luck on all of us!

Does anyone know if we expected to move to campus for the fall semester?

I do not know for sure, and I imagine it varies by school. I would anticipate at least some activities will be happening on university campuses this fall, but whether you need to be there full time I think is likely variable by program. The PhD coordinator at the program you are planning to attend might be able to answer this.

Does anyone know if we expected to move to campus for the fall semester?

I'm sure this will vary. For most, I would guess that you are expected to be there in person, but they will be flexible. We had a first year come in this past year with visa issues. Everything was remote anyway, so he just joined in from his home country. The fall should have more in person activities, and I would expect PhD seminars to have fairly high priority for that because there is an advantage in being face to face.

Hi guys! I applied to more than 20 top 40 Finance PhD programs in the U.S. and have been interviewed by 7 of them. I was waitlisted by Yale, rejected by around 10 programs, and have not been admitted by any of them. Below are the programs that I heard back from them.

I didn't see so many people discussing about the Finance PhD applications/results here. I guess I will be the first one or two haha. Is there anyone else still in the tortuous waiting game? Can you share any updates/news you have about the programs mentioned above? (Has anyone heard back from UCI and Maryland?)

Another question: Do you guys know the yield rate for Yale PhD program? How is my chance getting into Yale? Is there anyone else also waitlisted/offered?

Welcome! This is a stressful time. You should definitely get an admit from that many interviews, but interview costs are lower, so maybe schools are giving out more. I don't know about Yale's yield rate. You would think it's high, because it's Yale, but they are probably admitting some of the same people as Harvard, NYU, Stanford, etc. and people could choose those places. The econ subforum here has a lot of stuff from Finance PhDs sometimes. I haven't checked in on it recently.

Hang in there. Things will start resolving soon.

Welcome! This is a stressful time. You should definitely get an admit from that many interviews, but interview costs are lower, so maybe schools are giving out more. I don't know about Yale's yield rate. You would think it's high, because it's Yale, but they are probably admitting some of the same people as Harvard, NYU, Stanford, etc. and people could choose those places. The econ subforum here has a lot of stuff from Finance PhDs sometimes. I haven't checked in on it recently.

Hang in there. Things will start resolving soon.

Thank you for the response! Yeah, that's also what I've been thinking about. Hopefully the interviews can turn into good results:)

Hi, I'm also an applicant this year and just to give you some information I know.

Boston College: If you did not receive second round, the probability of getting in is actually low. They did second round interview in early Feb and made offers shortly after that.

UNC: The same is for UNC. I did my second round shortly after the first round weeks ago. If you did not receive second round with faculty members in your field of interest, then your ranking on their list is also not high.

UW: The only thing I know is that they started reviewing candidates pretty late this year. So, possibly they did not send out second round yet.

I would suggest you focus on the schools that you completed 2 rounds interviews and it's reasonable to reach out to those PhD coordinators to know where you stand, as there's high possibility they already have a ranking. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
How is it possible that I still haven't heard from several universities like UNC, McGill, Western, UCLA, and Penn State? I assume that they will be rejecting me at this point but I think still they properly let me know (especially after you pay 100 dollars or more for an application fee).

How is it possible that I still haven't heard from several universities like UNC, McGill, Western, UCLA, and Penn State? I assume that they will be rejecting me at this point but I think still they properly let me know (especially after you pay 100 dollars or more for an application fee).

What field?

Edited: Just realized it is probably OB. Sorry about that. I know that for marketing, UCLA has already made offers. I do not have any other overlap with you. The only school I have yet to hear from is Toronto.

What field?

Edited: Just realized it is probably OB. Sorry about that. I know that for marketing, UCLA has already made offers. I do not have any other overlap with you. The only school I have yet to hear from is Toronto.

Yes, it is OB! Mostly likely, I will be rejected but I think they should still have the decency of letting me know...?

• 2 weeks later...