Urch Forums

Profile Evaluation: Phd In Economics/ Financial Economics

Nightfury1234

Phd Financial Economics/ Economics Evaluation ( Planning to Apply Fall 2021):

GRE: Yet to Take ( Planning to take in June)

TOEFL: Yet to take ( Planning to take in June)

Undergrad: NIT Durgapur'2017 , India( Chemical Engineering)- 8.20/10

Grad: IIM Indore'2019 , India(Top 5 in Management as per NIRF ranking published by Ministry of Human resources India)-MBA ( 3.38/4.33, Top 35 out of 540, Don't have a proof yet but I am trying to get one from Admissions Office)

Courses & Grades:

1.Mathematics I :Functions of Single Variable,Functions of several variables,Integral Calculus, Multiple Integral, Vector Calculus, A (9/10)

2.Mathematics II:Liner Algebra, Ordinary Differential Equations,Fourier series,Laplace and Fourier Transforms,Probability A (9/10)

3.Mathematics III:Partial Differential Equations (PDE),Numerical Method,Complex Analysis,Optimization: Mathematical Preliminaries: Hyperplanes and Linear Varieties; Convex Sets, Polytopes and Polyhedra,Linear Programming Problem (LPP)A (9/10)

4.Advanced Numerical Analysis: Eigen Values A(9/10)

5.Probability & Statistics:Random Variables and Associated probability distribution,Sampling Distributions and Statistical Inference, Hypothesis testing,Simple Linear Regression Analysis A (3.783/4.33)

6.INTRODUCTION TO QUANTITATIVE DECISION MAKING:LINEAR PROGRAMMING,DECISION TREES,EXTENSIONS OF LINEAR PROGRAMMING: IPP AND MILP,APPLICATIONS OF LINEAR PROGRAMMING, B (3.367/4.33)

7.Microeconomics Introductory Microeconomics Course A (3.867/4.33)

8.Macroeconomics Introductory Macroeconomics Course A (3.917/4.33)

9.Economics of Strategic Interactions Market Structures and Organization,Review of Competition and Monopoly,Homogeneous Goods,Heterogenous Goods,Concentration, Mergers and Entry Barriers, R&D,Advertising, Quality, Durability and Warranties; readings from Industrial Organisations A ( 4.1/4.33)

10.Macroeconomics of Developing economies:Growth Models ( Solow etc)A ( 4.1/4.33)

11.Financial Markets & Central Banking:Stabilisation Policies in Closed and Open economy IS-LM Models,Monetary policy transmission mechanism, Credit Channel Expected Inflation and Monetary Dynamics, Optimum Policy Target,I nflation targeting B+(3.433/4.33)

12.International Finance:Balance of Payment, Exchange Rate, Drivers of Exchange Rate and,Foreign Exchange Market,International Parity Conditions: Interest Rate Parity,Foreign Exchange Risk Management,Hedging B (3.1/4.33)

13.Corporate Finance- Corporate Finance I (A) Corporate Finance II (B)

14.Investment Analysis & Portfolio Investments (B)- Portfolio Management

15.Equity Financing (B)- IPO/FPO/PE/VC

16.Practicing Corporate Valuation B- DCF/ Relative / M&A

17.Corporate & Retail Banking B- RWA calculation, CaR Ratio, Asset Liability Management, Basel Norms

Research Experience:

1. IIM Indore: Microeconomics - Course of Independent Study Project- Given Presentation to Economics Department ( Awarded a credit ). Was working on the paper but it is still incomplete not sure if it is going to be completed before I apply.

2. IIM Indore: Live Project ( Cost Analysis) with Idea Cellular (before the merger of Idea & Vodafone) -Worked in a group although- Term Paper submitted

3. NIT Durgapur: Not relevant to econ research. Have a paper published (co-authored) in chemical Engineering in Springer ( impact factor 1.47) and a chapter (co-authored) in a book.

4.NIT Durgapur: Final year Thesis (Chemical Engg) (In a group)

Work experience: Deutsche Bank ( almost 2yrs) - Corporate Banking Analyst

Also, I am CFA L1 candidate- Hoping to pass!

LORs:

1. Microeconomics Professor -IIM Indore under whose supervision I completed the Microeconomics project

2. Macroeconomics Professor- IIM Indore- Who took courses

3. Statistics Professor - IIM Indore - Who supervised the Live project

Concerns: I know my profile is lacking in the following: RA ships, Not enough math/econ courses. I am planning to take up online econ/math courses ( real analysis, measure theory) and R/ Stata courses as well. Which kind of certifications will be considered by admissions committee ( any course certification from US univs?) Can someone specify some certification courses covering the above topics which can compensate for the lacking in maths/econ courses?

I do know I like research , but till now most people have suggested me to go for a Masters rather than a Phd. is there any hope for me to get into a PhD econ program with this profile?

Kindly suggest some schools I can apply to for both Phd & Masters in econ/ Financial economics where I might have a chance!

Any suggestions are welcome! Would really like to gain some insights.

Thank You!

I think the best approach would be to go to a terminal master's program at a good school, like UT Austin or Zurich or UBC, and then apply to PhD programs.

It sucks, but the best (and perhaps only) certification is to be a "known quantity," which means coming from a well-known undergrad or master's institution, doing research with academic economists, and things like that. I don't think stuff like Coursera or edX helps much, since you don't get the signaling and letters out of it (going to a good master's program will also help you get good letters.)

But I could be wrong. If your professors have placed students in US grad schools in the past, then you could probably just apply anyway.

Hope it helps!