Urch Forums

Fall 2022 Profile Evaluation

jungwoo

Profile:

Undergrad University: Top 30 Public U in the US (was a transfer student, and no Master's degree)

Undergrad Major: Economics, Statistics (minor in Math)

Undergrad GPA: 3.95

GRE: Q 169 / V 152 / AWA 4.0 *Verbal looks problematic, is there a cutoff for GRE verbal for most universities?*

Econ Courses

Intermediate Microeconomics (A), Intermediate Macroeconomics (PS, took during lockdown), Econometrics (A), Game Theory (A), Honors Thesis (In Progress) *Will that PS in Macro be a problem?*

Math Course

Multivariable Calculus (A), Linear Algebra (A), Differential Equations (A), Real Analysis I (A), Elementary Differential Equations (In Progress), Real Analysis II (In Progress)

Stat Courses

Probability Theory (A), Methods of Data Analysis (A), Stochastic Process (In Progress), Advanced Methods of Data Analysis (In Progress), Mathematical Statistics (In Progress)

*Does taking grad level courses matter to committees? If so, I can take one next semester.*

Research Experience

One independent summer research project (labor economics) in my university, advised by a distinguished professor of Economics, wrote a paper; Now writing an honors thesis (in econometrics), advisor is another tenure-track professor in Econ.

Recommendation

Two are the advisors I worked with; one is an Econ professor who teaches me this semester. *This letter may not be very strong, is that gonna be a problem?*

Research Interests

Applied micro and econometrics.

I'm considering Top 20 - 50 PhD in economics and some other quantitative marketing/business administration PhD, especially those GRE-optional programs. I am also applying to predoc programs now, which is my primary focus this year.

All comments and suggestions are welcome. Thank you for reviewing my profile! 

1 hour ago, jungwoo said:

*Will that PS in Macro be a problem?*

Yes, the Pass will be problematic if your school has the graded option and you elected for a Pass/Fail system during lockdown. That being said, it will definitely hurt you a lot more if the Pass/Fail occurred pre-covid.

*Does taking grad level courses matter to committees? If so, I can take one next semester.*

Yes, grad level courses matter quite a bit, especially since a good grade in them can very easily demonstrate a minimum ability to survive the first year classes.

*This letter may not be very strong, is that gonna be a problem?*

A weak letter will definitely be problematic. That being said, why do you think that they'll produce weak letters?

*Verbal looks problematic, is there a cutoff for GRE verbal for most universities?*

Your verbal scores look fine.

20 minutes ago, tutonic said:

A weak letter will definitely be problematic. That being said, why do you think that they'll produce weak letters?

Thanks for the reply! By "weak letters", I actually mean it's not gonna be as strong as the other two letters (I suppose), since I am just taking one course with that letter writer and go to office hours, have good grades and etc. For the other two, I worked with them closely in research projects, so they can speak to my research proficiency.

That's not really a concern since you're eyeing predocs primarily this cycle. A letter from the predoc can be used in place of your weak letter.

With regards to the graduate classes, I might not have been sufficiently clear, but I'm mostly referring to PhD micro and/or metrics (if you have the time during your predoc, ideally), and less about graduate math/stats.

If you are going to be applying to business school programmes, you are better off sitting for the GMAT as well, rather than limit yourself to schools that allow the GRE as a substitute.