Urch Forums

2022 Sweat Thread

Erin

7 hours ago, mnbvbnm said:

I didn't apply myself but a friend of mine did.

Do you think the below link is current information? I think it may be since the last time I checked Peterson's, there were only ~168 applicants total. 

https://www.petersons.com/graduate-schools/university-of-california-irvine-school-of-social-sciences-department-of-economics-000_10036875.aspx

8 hours ago, prismaticrefraction said:

Do you think the below link is current information? I think it may be since the last time I checked Peterson's, there were only ~168 applicants total. 

https://www.petersons.com/graduate-schools/university-of-california-irvine-school-of-social-sciences-department-of-economics-000_10036875.aspx

Not very sure, though I doubt the data to be complete.

12 hours ago, prismaticrefraction said:

What about deferral's from last year's admissions cycle though? Maybe those were not so many? 

It's not gonna be that much, but still far from normal. Cuz there's gonna be people got rejected last year and planned for reapplying this year.

3 hours ago, EconPadawanBR said:

Hey Guys! I just finished my last application and I am happy that I did everything I could and that it is now out of my control. 

Just here to wish you all good luck! Whatever happens next, everyone should already be proud of the effort put into this process over the years! 😄

Where did you end up applying to??

I applied to 12 out of the top 15 programs and a few business schools here and there. I went with the very risky approach and certainly do not recommend it to everyone, but that was what made more sense given my future goals. Also, if you are curious from my previous posts, I decided that the RA path is not for me, so I will spend the next few months trying to find a job at a bank in case the Ph.D. route does not work.  

What about you?

51 minutes ago, EconPadawanBR said:

I applied to 12 out of the top 15 programs and a few business schools here and there. I went with the very risky approach and certainly do not recommend it to everyone, but that was what made more sense given my future goals. Also, if you are curious from my previous posts, I decided that the RA path is not for me, so I will spend the next few months trying to find a job at a bank in case the Ph.D. route does not work.  

What about you?

I also had a very risky approach of applying only to UC Irvine because it also made the most sense for my future goals and if I do not get accepted this cycle I will reapply and likely more broadly, perhaps also considering my current home university. I will receive an MA in economics this coming spring so I hope to work remotely as an economist if my application gamble doesn't pan out well. I hope you receive multiple offers though! 

6 hours ago, prismaticrefraction said:

Maybe the applicants who got screened out for GPA/GRE/etc. got notified right away?

Yeah I think this is the case. He marginally missed the minimum requirement in one of the sections of TOEFL. 

Idk if this is the right place to ask this

People from the European Union: is it common for people with non-Economics background be accepted into a Masters or PhD in Economics?

The US seems very flexible about this: so long as you have a quantitative background and a few Econ classes, it seems like you are good.

How are things in the EU?

I'm not super familiar with EU master's but can give you my impression about UK master's admissions, which I imagine are more similar to EU than US admissions.

It's not completely unheard of for people with strong maths backgrounds to get into Econ master's programmes with little econ experience, but it does seem to be quite rare. Personally, I did a graduate diploma in economics as a stepping stone to a master's. I mainly applied to master's in the UK but this got me offers from a couple of EU programmes too. It's a frustratingly long route to an econ PhD but it seems to be a reliable way of transferring into econ and it's a good way to try econ without committing to a master's or PhD. This is the programme I did, but there are others: https://www.bbk.ac.uk/study/2022/postgraduate/programmes/GDGECNMC_C/0/economics-graduate-diploma

Edited by Dommull
Clarity
  • Like 1

• Erin unpinned this topic