Urch Forums

2022 Sweat Thread

Erin

5 minutes ago, CornellEnglishMajor said:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH #SweatThread22 #IJustWantOneAcceptance #ImBored #ShouldIApplyToPreDocPrograms #EveryMorningICheckMyEmailAndThereIsNothing

Predoc is just way tough if you are not from top universities ( which is me). It's being very frustrating. I don't think admission committee understand this. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Fred52 said:

Do you know any others besides the two on GC? Wondering if they also send admission in batches...

Well I'm one of those two on GC. But I don't know of any others. But Mannheim sends their admissions in at least 2 batches because it has an early and a main round, as stated on its website:

image.thumb.png.cea3974f1cf01d6768ea6d5997d5aaa1.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MathEcon007 said:

Predoc is just way tough if you are not from top universities ( which is me). It's being very frustrating. I don't think admission committee understand this. 

I disagree. If you have the right credentials (e.g., enough math and research experience) I think it's worth a shot. My only advice @CornellEnglishMajor is to apply to everything. I applied to 20 pre-docs and I nearly started a fifth year before I got picked up by the Fed. Additionally, if you're eligible, I'd consider applying to programs aimed at increasing representation in graduate school (e.g., McNair, Columbia's Bridge to the Ph.D. Program).

Does anyone have any experience with reapplying? Specifically, if you apply and get accepted somewhere, but you decide to reapply the next cycle (or the one after), will the outcome of your last application affect the way that the schools think about your app?

For instance, if you get in to university A, but decide to not accept and reapply more broadly next cycle, will university A not consider accepting you the next cycle since you didn’t take their last offer?

2 hours ago, anecongal said:

Can anyone confirm the Kellogg MECS acceptances on GC?

Seems like those of us who did dual applications (with econ first choice, MECS second choice) haven't heard anything from econ yet. Since Kellogg MECS is already out, is it fair to say this was just a wasted application fee and there will be no second choice consideration? 😳

28 minutes ago, lilac said:

Seems like those of us who did dual applications (with econ first choice, MECS second choice) haven't heard anything from econ yet. Since Kellogg MECS is already out, is it fair to say this was just a wasted application fee and there will be no second choice consideration? 😳

I was wondering the same thing lol.

1 hour ago, lilac said:

In the same boat and very worried. On a tangential note how do people generally rank the MECS program relative to other Econ programs? Would it be fair to consider it similar to other T20 programs for instance?

I applied to 15 programs! 12 in the USA and 3 in the UK. The 12 programs in the US are distributed like this- 3 in the top 10, 3 between 10-20, 2 between 20-30 and 4 between 30-60. So far I have got 1R and 4IRs (including my safeties). I am assuming rejections from 2 of the rest top 10s. Which means rejections/implicit rejections from 6/7 already. This is quite frustrating and feels like i should stop trying for academia/research and look for other jobs! 😞

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, MujR said:

I applied to 15 programs! 12 in the USA and 3 in the UK. The 12 programs in the US are distributed like this- 3 in the top 10, 3 between 10-20, 2 between 20-30 and 4 between 30-60. So far I have got 1R and 4IRs (including my safeties). I am assuming rejections from 2 of the rest top 10s. Which means rejections/implicit rejections from 6/7 already. This is quite frustrating and feels like i should stop trying for academia/research and look for other jobs! 😞

Hey, hang in there! You only need one acceptance and you've still got plenty of decisions pending!

28 minutes ago, MujR said:

Bro be patient and keep your hopes up. Dear friends, if you have a dominating offer, could you reject dominated ones ASAP so that much more people can get acceptance and can be placed. Waiting for acceptance is pretty painful.

Edited by Kamikaze
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, MujR said:

Yes, I guess many of us would be in similar situation. It's especially difficult for the ones who graduated from developing country programs; providing reliable signals to adcom is quite hard with such profiles.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, phd22 said:

Yes, I guess many of us would be in similar situation. It's especially difficult for the ones who graduated from developing country programs; providing reliable signals to adcom is quite hard with such profiles.

It's not even that. I received both my bachelor's and master's abroad (but not the US) with high grades and still find it difficult because I have no connections to the US programs. I also feel like I'm penalized for choosing to research my own country domestically, where I can actually lead substantial projects rather than going for a pre-doc in the US.

This whole process is deeply frustrating, and I completely relate to MujR, I feel like I just need to move on to another career. It has been a waste of money applying to a lot of these places, especially with my developing-country wages.

And it frankly angers me knowing how many of the researchers does plenty of work in my country, yet virtually shutting out its citizens from getting into their programs.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, LimeJuice12 said:

It's not even that. I received both my bachelor's and master's abroad (but not the US) with high grades and still find it difficult because I have no connections to the US programs. I also feel like I'm penalized for choosing to research my own country domestically, where I can actually lead substantial projects rather than going for a pre-doc in the US.

This whole process is deeply frustrating, and I completely relate to MujR, I feel like I just need to move on to another career. It has been a waste of money applying to a lot of these places, especially with my developing-country wages.

And it frankly angers me knowing how many of the researchers does plenty of work in my country, yet virtually shutting out its citizens from getting into their programs.

Thanks everyone for your support. Best of luck to you guys.

The most frustrating thing about applying from a developing country is the fact that there is nothing you can do to improve your profile anymore.  Like i can publish 1 or 2 mediocre papers but that is not going to be equivalent to pre-docs and it should not tbh.

Actually everyone does not get the opportunity to do pre-docs in usa/uk from another country, specially from the developing ones. The frustration starts from there- you did everything you could in your capacity, still you are not competitive enough.

So yeah- nothing to do at this moment- just have to wait and see how things turn out in the next 7-8 weeks. 

• Like 9

• Erin unpinned this topic