Urch Forums

2022 Sweat Thread

Erin

2 minutes ago, kkk301 said:

hey harvard admits,  anyone know if all acceptances are out? also, has anyone heard anything about MIT? thought MIT was supposed to release adcom decisions before Harvard, but this cycle everything seems messed up...

not all harvard admissions are out, see AnonFromFar's comments above

Guys! So far I am considering an IR from USC and UCSC as they have called candidates for interviews! It is what it is, but I really appreciate if someone could give me some color about two concerns I have:

1 - Do you know if there is any chance to not be invited for interview, but still have a chance to be admitted? My question is just because if some interviews are mostly focused on field of interest and career goals and the candidate strongly addressed those points in her SoP, do they really need to do an interview?

2 - GPA: in my LatAm country is not really common even for top students in top universities to achieve much more than 3.2 during UG in Engineering, even though there is a lot of people I know that joined top US universities. Even during my masters in economics, the best students struggled a lot to have something around 3.2-3.4. The people I know said that there is a huge challenge for Adcom to understand GPA differences around the globe, so they don't think they were accepted due their low gpa around low 3 (two real cases - Stanford and Berkeley - which I haven't applied). Do you think that Adcom really can dissociate gpa's or my friends were lucky and their LoR's have played the major role in the process?

Thanks a lot for anyone can help me and wish you all a lot of acceptance letters!!! 🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SCCPKA said:

Guys! So far I am considering an IR from USC and UCSC as they have called candidates for interviews! It is what it is, but I really appreciate if someone could give me some color about two concerns I have:

1 - Do you know if there is any chance to not be invited for interview, but still have a chance to be admitted? My question is just because if some interviews are mostly focused on field of interest and career goals and the candidate strongly addressed those points in her SoP, do they really need to do an interview?

2 - GPA: in my LatAm country is not really common even for top students in top universities to achieve much more than 3.2 during UG in Engineering, even though there is a lot of people I know that joined top US universities. Even during my masters in economics, the best students struggled a lot to have something around 3.2-3.4. The people I know said that there is a huge challenge for Adcom to understand GPA differences around the globe, so they don't think they were accepted due their low gpa around low 3 (two real cases - Stanford and Berkeley - which I haven't applied). Do you think that Adcom really can dissociate gpa's or my friends were lucky and their LoR's have played the major role in the process?

Thanks a lot for anyone can help me and wish you all a lot of acceptance letters!!! 🙂

Some thoughts (bear in mind that I'm applying this cycle myself, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Unfortunately, I think it is unlikely to be admitted without being interviewed, if interviewing is part of the process at the school. There could still be more invitations to interview to come, however.

2. They do try to take into consideration the different levels of grade inflation internationally. I would't worry about that too much now after the applications have already been sent. Regarding the LORs, I think it is important for the letter writers to make sense of your grades to the adcom (i.e. rank you among your peers locally). They probably have done that if they are familiar with the procedure, so I wouldn't worry about that either.

Best of luck during this stressful time! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, chubwagon1 said:

Yes, that was me. Logged into portal and decision was uploaded.

Sorry to hear that. Thanks for your confirmation, so they haven’t sent an email to notify people? This year is so weird, rejections come earlier than offers???

Edited by adjfbcken

Congrats to phd2022!

I got this:

"Dear XXX,

Following careful review by faculty in the Kenneth C. Griffin Department of Economics (PhD program), your materials have been referred to the Master of Arts Program in the Social Sciences (MAPSS) for consideration because of the strength of your application and research interests in the social sciences."

Does this mean I am likely to be accepted for the masters even though I got rejected for PhD? Or are they just generically passing me to the master's committee?

Edited by Eustruria
formatting

4 minutes ago, Eustruria said:

Congrats to phd2022!

I got this:

"Dear XXX,

Following careful review by faculty in the Kenneth C. Griffin Department of Economics (PhD program), your materials have been referred to the Master of Arts Program in the Social Sciences (MAPSS) for consideration because of the strength of your application and research interests in the social sciences."

Does this mean I am likely to be accepted for the masters even though I got rejected for PhD? Or are they just generically passing me to the master's committee?

UChicago sends out a lot of offers for MAPSS every year. Social science PhD rejects are generally quite likely to be offered admission to MAPSS.

2 hours ago, econwag said:

Anyone knows anything about UC Irvine/Davis?

They tended to give decisions early in February. 

I'm not expecting anything from UC Irvine until at least next week because their application portal now states that there will be a quick maintenance update this Friday and specifically mentioned that this is "including [the] status page," which seems to imply that there won't be any changes until next week. 

Edited by prismaticrefraction

3 minutes ago, babineer said:

Got a waitlist from UChicago, is the waitlist expected to bigger this year so that it might be harder to actually get admitted?

Also waitlisted at Chicago, it seems to be pretty crowded, but that's just my guess based on several people I know also getting WLs.

1 hour ago, AA.ron said:

should we assume IR from HKS (public policy econ)? I've seen 2 admits on GC earlier this week

If it's true, most likely yes. However, in the past HKS tend to publish their results in late February or early March, so it deviates from that trend and may be the case that it is a troll. The poster on GC mention that the results will be published online on Friday, so if it's true, we won't have to wait long anyway.

Edited by LimeJuice12

On 2/9/2022 at 4:04 PM, SwissEconomist said:

Well I'm one of those two on GC. But I don't know of any others. But Mannheim sends their admissions in at least 2 batches because it has an early and a main round, as stated on its website:

image.thumb.png.cea3974f1cf01d6768ea6d5997d5aaa1.png

Hey @SwissEconomist, just received an offer! Do you know how much funding people usually receive from 2nd year onwards with RA/TAships? Anyone else that knows please let me know 😃

• Erin unpinned this topic