Urch Forums

2022 Sweat Thread

Erin

4 minutes ago, funfun1 said:

Well, that's confusing and annoying. Their dual application process fails if they waitlist us without ever forwarding our applications to the second preference departments.

I have a suspicion this might be there way of justfying not forwarding people to second choices. Oh...we WL you with 250 other candidates. Good luck. Still, I think that more rejections are bound to come out.

Question - when people say (on GC for example) “top 5 predoc”, do they just mean they did a predoc at a top 5 institution? Or that they had one of the best 5 predoc positions?

For instance, someone may have had a predoc at Stanford (but with an assistant professor that doesn’t yet have much clout) versus someone who had a predoc at UChicago with a highly acclaimed economist. The first person did their predoc at a top 5 institution, but the second arguably had the “better” predoc position.

24 minutes ago, dgsexogenous said:

Anyone have a good handle on the LSE decisions? Seems like there are no emails sent and people end up learning by checking the portal. It's a mix of acceptances and rejections so wanted to know if there's some order (application submission date, or last name(?)) to this. 

Hey, have you seen any acceptances? I haven't seen any but maybe I've missed smth. Based on last year, there is no obvious order, although there was one day, on which they send many acceptances.

21 minutes ago, econk said:

Question - when people say (on GC for example) “top 5 predoc”, do they just mean they did a predoc at a top 5 institution? Or that they had one of the best 5 predoc positions?

For instance, someone may have had a predoc at Stanford (but with an assistant professor that doesn’t yet have much clout) versus someone who had a predoc at UChicago with a highly acclaimed economist. The first person did their predoc at a top 5 institution, but the second arguably had the “better” predoc position.

Good question, I think it’s the latter. When I think of a top-5 predoc I think of the really competitive programs like EPIC, Opportunity Insights, and the Tobin Center. 

20 minutes ago, kot88 said:

Hey, have you seen any acceptances? I haven't seen any but maybe I've missed smth. Based on last year, there is no obvious order, although there was one day, on which they send many acceptances.

Think you're right—only rejections on GC so far. Thought I saw one acceptance but was likely mistaken. In that case, it seems like we just wait everyday and keep checking the portal.

45 minutes ago, CornellEnglishMajor said:

I do homework and play Dying Light 2 and wait for Elden Ring to come out lol -- anything besides refreshing grad cafe 

Also once the first acceptance came for me I chilled out a lot since now I know I'll at least be somewhere 

Having a beer is also a good choice! Cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgsexogenous said:

Anyone have a good handle on the LSE decisions? Seems like there are no emails sent and people end up learning by checking the portal. It's a mix of acceptances and rejections so wanted to know if there's some order (application submission date, or last name(?)) to this. 

On their website they state that they have “rolling admissions”, which I think means that they consider applications and send out responses in a first come first serve basis. Not really sure if this is what really happens in practice though. 

14 minutes ago, FSG56 said:

On their website they state that they have “rolling admissions”, which I think means that they consider applications and send out responses in a first come first serve basis. Not really sure if this is what really happens in practice though. 

I think that's only for master's. The PhD admissions decisions have all already been made (according to an insider), it just takes a while to send them out

5 minutes ago, ojwoijoij said:

For the MSc or for the MRes year of the PhD?

I was thinking PhD, which Dommull corrected (I recall that LSE's PhD has a MRes + PhD track). Rolling admissions must be for "simple" master's programs.

Edited by FSG56
  • Thanks 1

• Erin unpinned this topic