Urch Forums

2022 Sweat Thread

Erin

13 minutes ago, seabrother123 said:

for the people who haven't been rejected by Austin in the last wave, how is the situation now?

Just checked my portal after reading this. Rejected😢. Don’t think Austin was a good fit for me anyways (maybe it’s my cognitive dissonance). Good luck to those who are waiting to hear back!

Anyways, are funding packages from schools Cost of living adjusted?

Guys I have seen a lot of frustration caused by rejections and waitlisting here and on gc. I understand your disappointment and relate what you go through. Thus, I suggest you all to reject your dominated offers ASAP if you have one dominant offer. There is really no point of holding your dominated offer until last day. If we reject our dominated offers, I think that more applicants can get offer from  their desired programsIf we reject our dominated offers, I belive that more applicants can get spot in their desired programs. Congrast for your offers and I wish you success in life.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Hyperplane
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Hyperplane said:

Guys I have seen a lot of frustration caused by rejections and waitlisting here and on gc. I understand your disappointment and relate what you go through. Thus, I suggest you all to reject your dominated offers ASAP if you have one dominant offer. There is really no point of holding your dominated offer until last day. If we reject our dominated offers, I think that more applicants can get offer from  their desired programs If we reject our dominated offers, I belive that more applicants can get spot in their desired programs.

Sorry for typo. I cant edit my typo.

Guys I have seen a lot of frustration caused by rejections and waitlisting here and on gc. I understand your disappointment and relate what you go through. Thus, I suggest you all to reject your dominated offers ASAP if you have one dominant offer. There is really no point of holding your dominated offer until last day. If we reject our dominated offers, I think that more applicants can get offer from  their desired programs If we reject our dominated offers.

Congrast for your offers and I wish you success in life.

Thanks in advance

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Fred52 said:

Any ideas on standard funding package from Boston College, UC Davis, Johns Hopkins and Illinois (Urbana-Champaign)? Thinking on withdrawing depending on this...

By looking at last year gc post , I can say Boston: 24k, Davis:23k and JHU 29k

Edited by Hyperplane

1 hour ago, Fred52 said:

Any ideas on standard funding package from Boston College, UC Davis, Johns Hopkins and Illinois (Urbana-Champaign)? Thinking on withdrawing depending on this...

I'm not sure if this is true for Boston College still but I heard they dont give funding to all of their first years -- so the culture can be competitive. This person went there pre 2008 though, so not sure if that holds any value anymore

2 minutes ago, CornellEnglishMajor said:

If a faculty member personally emails you to say you've been accepted with funding info attached and everything and you're still waiting to hear back from other schools, would you reply to the email saying "thank you I'll get back to you soon on this" or just leave it and wait?

I don't respond to those e-mails. They understand that you might have other offers and are not expecting you to choose immediately. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, economcs4lifelol said:

Within top 10 econ phd programs, apart from maybe MIT/Harvard -- how much do you think research fit matters compared to relative ranking (e.g. #7 vs #4)? As well, some ranking systems, such as US News vs Repec, place departments very differently, which I find hard to interpret. Any thoughts are appreciated 🙂

I think we should pick PhD programs based on expected outcome. That is a function of: program reputation, quality of training, and your ability to make the most of that training. The latter is determined by department culture and research fit. Beyond broad tier (I.e. 4-10 are similar) you should have fit be a primary concern. 

Note that ability to make the most also is a function of whether you will be depressed, and expected outcome includes the expected person you are at the end. So also think about the weather 😉

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, EconApplicant465 said:

I think we should pick PhD programs based on expected outcome. That is a function of: program reputation, quality of training, and your ability to make the most of that training. The latter is determined by department culture and research fit. Beyond broad tier (I.e. 4-10 are similar) you should have fit be a primary concern. 

Note that ability to make the most also is a function of whether you will be depressed, and expected outcome includes the expected person you are at the end. So also think about the weather 😉

Thank you! How would you differentiate between program reputation and quality of training?

1 hour ago, economcs4lifelol said:

Within top 10 econ phd programs, apart from maybe MIT/Harvard -- how much do you think research fit matters compared to relative ranking (e.g. #7 vs #4)? As well, some ranking systems, such as US News vs Repec, place departments very differently, which I find hard to interpret. Any thoughts are appreciated 🙂

I think EconApplicant465 has some great insight. I would add location to the mix, since you'd better be happy or at least comfortable in the place you choose to live in for the next 5-6 years!

Also, you should definitely ask for your recommenders/advisors' opinions! One important lesson that I learned during this process is that they are your greatest allies during the application cycle (and in the future, when you can collab with them)! All of them have gone through the same thing and have very useful insight regarding life as a grad student and as an academic.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CornellEnglishMajor said:

If a faculty member personally emails you to say you've been accepted with funding info attached and everything and you're still waiting to hear back from other schools, would you reply to the email saying "thank you I'll get back to you soon on this" or just leave it and wait?

Personally, I respond to those emails with something like

“Professor X,

I am very excited to hear that I have been accepted into the PhD in Economics program at ~Disney World~. 

*Ask any outstanding questions if I have any. For example - will there be an admitted students day? Can I see past placements (if not posted elsewhere or sent)? What teaching/research hours are required for my stipend? (if not detailed in attached docs)?*

I will be sure to keep you all updated regarding my decision.

Respectfully,

#1 Prospective Econ PhD Student”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Erin unpinned this topic