Urch Forums

2022 Sweat Thread

Erin

10 hours ago, startz said:

First thing: Don't read EJMR. While there are some people there who are knowledgeable, there are also many who will deliberately give you misinformation. They are quite open about trying to trick people.

Second: Chicago is certainly a top program. The culture has improved (I don't know how much) and this is due in part to John List, who checks in here occasionally. 

Current graduate students are often quite candid in private about what they like and what they don't like. If a department doesn't provide an opportunity for you to talk to current students with no faculty around you can draw an appropriate inference.

Thanks for your insights, @startz — it’s so valuable & much appreciated!! 

What do y’all *personally* think the “tiers” are for the top 15-20ish programs or so? This is not meant to be a “help me rank schools” or “which school is better” post - I have just seen that people’s perception of the tiers of top schools seems to vary fairly dramatically (maybe depending on their field, their interaction with the faculty of various depts., etc.) and I am curious what y’all here think.

Thanks in advance for anyone who participates 🙌🏼

22 minutes ago, econk said:

What do y’all *personally* think the “tiers” are for the top 15-20ish programs or so? This is not meant to be a “help me rank schools” or “which school is better” post - I have just seen that people’s perception of the tiers of top schools seems to vary fairly dramatically (maybe depending on their field, their interaction with the faculty of various depts., etc.) and I am curious what y’all here think.

My personal ranking (and within each tier the schools are also ranked): 

Top 1-2: Harvard, MIT

Top 3: Stanford

Top 4-7: Princeton, Yale, UCB, Chicago

Top 8-11: Northwestern, Columbia, NYU, LSE

Below that is hard to say... Feel free to disagree, my fields are development and metrics theory.

3 hours ago, econk said:

1 and 2: MIT, Chicago

3 to 5: Harvard, Stanford, UC Berkeley

6 to 10: Northwestern, Columbia, NYU, Princeton, Yale

11 to 15: Brown, UCSD, UPenn, UCLA, Boston U

16 to 20: Cornell, USC, UMich, UWM, one of your favourite schools that is not in this list (but could also be U Minnesota)

4 hours ago, econk said:

1: MIT 

2-6: Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, Berkeley, Chicago 

7-8: Yale, Northwestern 

9-10: NYU, Columbia 

11-19: Penn, UCLA, Duke, Michigan, Wisconsin, UCSD, Brown, Minnesota, Cornell

4 hours ago, econk said:

1-2: Harvard, MIT

3-6: Stanford, Princeton, Yale, Chicago

7-11: Northwestern, Berkeley, Columbia, NYU, Penn

12-17: UCLA, Wisconsin, Cornell, Brown, Michigan, Minnesota

2 minutes ago, bah said:

Oh , why is that ? Are acceptances usually easier than they have been this year?  Is this year extra competitive for some reason ? 

I did a lot worse than most people were expecting, but maybe I had bad luck or made a mistake on the application or they were clueless lol, who knows. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BoredGames said:

Certainly feels that way... Only accepted at the bottom safety school in the range my advisors suggested, and they consistently send students to top 10 programs

I know a lot of people that applied last year and did a lot better than expected, probably because there were less applicants overall. This year probably collected many people that were going to apply initially and also those who didn't apply last year. All of this in the middle of a global economic/health crisis. 

• Like 3

Just now, jk_econ said:

I know a lot of people that applied last year and did a lot better than expected, probably because there were less applicants overall. This year probably collected many people that were going to apply initially and also those who didn't apply last year. All of this in the middle of a global economic/health crisis. 

which of course means that more people apply to grad school. 

29 minutes ago, jjjlll said:

I wonder if I haven't received a phone call from Princeton now, does that mean an IR?

From what they state in their application portal, they only should notify decisions by e-mail. So, I don't know. I don't even know if the "phone calls" are legit tbh.

• Erin unpinned this topic