Urch Forums

2022 Sweat Thread

Erin

1 minute ago, FSG56 said:

Yeah, figured that would happen given the posts on gradcafe about the phone calls.

What are your thoughts on Northwestern, Columbia, Berkeley and now NYU given the informal offers people have posted in the past weeks? Do you assume not having these informal interactions as rejections/waitlists?

I think they are rejections and waitlists. I wouldn't have high expectations. It makes sense for universities that are competing for students to let their best fits know asap. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jk_econ said:

I think they are rejections and waitlists. I wouldn't have high expectations. It makes sense for universities that are competing for students to let their best fits know asap. 

I guess you're right. Damn, this cycle has been tough.

1 minute ago, FSG56 said:

Yeah, figured that would happen given the posts on gradcafe about the phone calls.

What are your thoughts on Northwestern, Columbia, Berkeley and now NYU given the informal offers people have posted in the past weeks? Do you assume not having these informal interactions as rejections/waitlists?

I didn't apply to Berkeley or NYU, so haven't followed these super closely. Iirc, Berkeley has sent out lots of rejections and some acceptances, so no news could be implicit wait list, and maybe more news will follow soon.

Based on previous years, no news from Northwestern likely means a rejection or wait list is coming soon (maybe implicit wait list at this point). But the wait list is typically long, so I wouldn't hold much hope of getting off it. We haven't heard much from Columbia for PhDs (just a couple of interviews), so I'm not really sure what to expect there. No news isn't a good signal, but I imagine we'll hear more from them soon and wouldn't put it in the IR bucket yet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dommull said:

I didn't apply to Berkeley or NYU, so haven't followed these super closely. Iirc, Berkeley has sent out lots of rejections and some acceptances, so no news could be implicit wait list, and maybe more news will follow soon.

Based on previous years, no news from Northwestern likely means a rejection or wait list is coming soon (maybe implicit wait list at this point). But the wait list is typically long, so I wouldn't hold much hope of getting off it. We haven't heard much from Columbia for PhDs (just a couple of interviews), so I'm not really sure what to expect there. No news isn't a good signal, but I imagine we'll hear more from them soon and wouldn't put it in the IR bucket yet.

On that note, do you know what is the typical waitlist length from schools in different ranking brackets?

Did anyone here get an interview request from UWM? This is my first interview request & I have 0 idea what to expect.

**I scrolled back through this forum, and I didn’t see anything, but apologies if I missed it - not my intention to duplicate a previous comment

Edited by econk

45 minutes ago, econk said:

Did anyone here get an interview request from UWM? This is my first interview request & I have 0 idea what to expect.

**I scrolled back through this forum, and I didn’t see anything, but apologies if I missed it - not my intention to duplicate a previous comment

Ignore if this is not what you were looking for/is unrelated information.

Here's a few things (non exhaustive) to expect and prepare for your interview. This is based on a couple I had at other places:

1. Summary of your research experience (thesis, part-time RA, full-time pre-doc etc)
  2. You research interests (even better if you can weave in some faculty at the place while talking about this)
  3. Interviewers may also hone in on one research experience and ask you to elaborate. I was asked about my thesis so be prepared to summarize that too.
  4. Why Econ (or relevant field) and why X university?: there's fit, multidisciplinary stuff etc to fold in here. 
  5. Any questions you may have: I was told to stave off admin questions but literally anything you think that might provide more info (eg. opportunities to take classes in other depts, advising styles etc)

I think preparing something for these broad thematic questions is more than enough. My tip is to be organized and let your passion/eagerness for studying this subject show. 

Good luck!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, econk said:

The other person who answered this summarized it perfectly -- I'll only add that some places will ask you where else you applied and which acceptances you've gotten so far. Other than that, it's pretty much:

Tell us about yourself -> why econ PhD -> what are your research interests and describe your research experiences -> why this school -> do you have any questions

Any ideas on UT Austin masters program? Austin rejected me twice and then sent me an email regarding their masters program. I'm still waiting for decisions upon other PhD programs, but meanwhile, I was wondering what is their masters like. 

18 minutes ago, eou said:

Any ideas on UT Austin masters program? Austin rejected me twice and then sent me an email regarding their masters program. I'm still waiting for decisions upon other PhD programs, but meanwhile, I was wondering what is their masters like. 

Its probably good and will help you to get admitted into a PhD afterwards, specially at that institution. 

9 hours ago, eou said:

I would start by looking at their placements. They list all placements by year on their website iirc.

• Erin unpinned this topic