Urch Forums

2022 Sweat Thread

Erin

1 hour ago, adjfbcken said:

When can we hear back from UCLA and UCSD????

UCSD is typically pretty late for some reason -- They tend to give offers after the first week of March (based on last year GradCafe). Modal acceptances were around early March for them in 2020

UCLA should be soon based on last year -- modal acceptances were around late Feb for them in 2020

31 minutes ago, user501 said:

Is there any downside to not accepting a good offer early? I’m in a position where I have a great offer, but I have half a mind to attend another place if I get in for personal reasons mostly however I’m on an implicit waitlist at that place. …

I'm not sure but I wouldn't think so. I've heard of "exploding offers" where there's some sort of time limit to decide, but I think generally most schools stick to the April 15th deadline. Have they told you that you have to decide anytime soon?

Do programs that give these "pre-offers" end up not giving first-round offers to students who reply saying they are still interested in the program? The program that sent me this type of email said they expect a first-round decision within a week, but gave no indication that I would be one to receive one of these first-round offers. It seems ridiculous that a school would send an email like this and then not give students who replied with interest a first-round offer, but what do I know. Just wondering if I should temper my expectations. Any input would be appreciated!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DaBear85 said:

Do programs that give these "pre-offers" end up not giving first-round offers to students who reply saying they are still interested in the program? The program that sent me this type of email said they expect a first-round decision within a week, but gave no indication that I would be one to receive one of these first-round offers. It seems ridiculous that a school would send an email like this and then not give students who replied with interest a first-round offer, but what do I know. Just wondering if I should temper my expectations. Any input would be appreciated!

Was just thinking about this earlier today. Wondering if reaching out next week is an alright next step.

28 minutes ago, DaBear85 said:

One data point: I had a "pre-offer" email from a program and I expressed an interest in the program. I didn't receive an offer in the first round of offers from that program.

• Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Dommull said:

One data point: I had a "pre-offer" email from a program and I expressed an interest in the program. I didn't receive an offer in the first round of offers from that program.

I'm sorry to hear that 😞 this must've been painful.

1 hour ago, ojwoijoij said:

I imagine that if we didn't receive the email from LSE today it's a rejection?

My guess is that given the large number of earlier rejections on gc, this is more like an implicit waitlist. I don't think I'll get in given today's events, but I have still got a drop of hope that many people will accept dominating offers soon-ish. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, DaBear85 said:

Would you mind sharing the school? Thanks so much in advance — would allow us to know which school to anticipate this week.

5 hours ago, DaBear85 said:

Dont have an answer to this but I like your username! Sadly, the bears havent been good since then lol

Guys, I have applied to UCSC, USC, Davis, Rice and all of them have already interviewed or communicated with shor listed candidates. Do you know why they don't send the formal rejections at this point? For me, sounds like a lack of consideration for those who have no chances anymore, have paid and invested sometime to apply for these schools....I am somehow upset with this not professional approach some schools conduct their process...

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, SCCPKA said:

Guys, I have applied to UCSC, USC, Davis, Rice and all of them have already interviewed or communicated with shor listed candidates. Do you know why they don't send the formal rejections at this point? For me, sounds like a lack of consideration for those who have no chances anymore, have paid and invested sometime to apply for these schools....I am somehow upset with this not professional approach some schools conduct their process...

Same for Johns Hopkins. I have a better offer, but still. 

3 hours ago, 8thfloorr said:

Can anyone else confirm NYU and Columbia (besides @HHHEcon)? Thanks so much!

NYU is a pre-offer of email asking if still interested and Columbia invites a interview from one of the admission committee (though it seems not an obligation) Wharton also asks two days ago about if interested.

• Erin unpinned this topic