Urch Forums

2022 Sweat Thread

Erin

8 minutes ago, SCCPKA said:

Congrats anyway and hope you get what you wish....i am still rejected or implictly rejected everywhere...

I got mostly rejections, something will come up for you! And if it doesn't, it's not the end of the world. I know someone from my school that got rejected everywhere one year and the next year he got admitted to a top 5. There is a lot of luck in the process. I am pretty much sure that they don't even read all applications, even those that have decent GRE and GPAs, sometimes you could get lucky, sometimes not, so don't take it as a reflection of your worth. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mnbvbnm said:

One observation for Brown. The 'date completed' in the application status page changes to 02/19, which probably implies the result will come out very soon.

You mean in the 'View Checklist' ?   Mine has not changed yet. It is still the submission date.

And I did not receive any email from Brown. I suspect it is not a good sign...

13 minutes ago, PTI said:

Does anyone know what's going on with Applied Economics And Management at Cornell Dyson? There only seem to be interviews for EERE track on GC, are they not going to admit students in any other concentration?

Was interviewed for the other track so rest assured they are admitting students in other concentrations too. FWIW, I haven't heard back since the interview so who knows what's going on.

3 hours ago, proletariat said:

Someone previously confirmed here. Pitt used to conduct interview, so my guess is that they already released their first round acceptance and maybe will conduct interview for the rest.

Emailed them and got this- " The first round of admissions and waitlist letters should go out this week, though decisions and updates will continue through the close of admissions season on April 15."

8 minutes ago, MathEcon007 said:

Emailed them and got this- " The first round of admissions and waitlist letters should go out this week, though decisions and updates will continue through the close of admissions season on April 15."

When did they say that tho? Posts on GC were on Feb 21-22, so I wonder whether they will send some more in the next 2 days of the week. I didn't hear anything so probably IR

25 minutes ago, econwag said:

You mean in the 'View Checklist' ?   Mine has not changed yet. It is still the submission date.

And I did not receive any email from Brown. I suspect it is not a good sign...

Yes, I also found the dates for receiving GRE scores and Language Proficiency Test waiver to change to 02/19 as well. I guess that is bad news for at least (and hopefully at most) one of us.

34 minutes ago, dgsexogenous said:

Was interviewed for the other track so rest assured they are admitting students in other concentrations too. FWIW, I haven't heard back since the interview so who knows what's going on.

Ah, thanks! That seems like an implicit rejection then since I didn't hear from them about an interview.

For the previous post about NYU, I also received acceptance e-mail from the adcom professors. The letter goes "We would happily initiate the process of formally making a fellowship offer, but if you are currently holding offers from other institutions that you clearly prefer over NYU, it would be great if you could let us know". Similarly, I received an e-mail from U Penn, but it is not as explicit as NYU. It told me to notify them ASAP if I have a dominating offer.

13 minutes ago, CHAPEL said:

For the previous post about NYU, I also received acceptance e-mail from the adcom professors. The letter goes "We would happily initiate the process of formally making a fellowship offer, but if you are currently holding offers from other institutions that you clearly prefer over NYU, it would be great if you could let us know". Similarly, I received an e-mail from U Penn, but it is not as explicit as NYU. It told me to notify them ASAP if I have a dominating offer.

Thanks for sharing! 

47 minutes ago, Econlete said:

Implied Rejection by Rice I guess, time to krill myself now ngl

cryin, losing hoap

Don’t worry bro! Things will be alright! I haven’t got a single acceptance yet! 0a/6r/7ir/4p for me. 😛

But yeah forcing myself to take things lightly. Let’s see! If things totally go wrong, there is always next time or other options.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, MujR said:

Don’t worry bro! Things will be alright! I haven’t got a single acceptance yet! 0a/6r/7ir/4p for me. 😛

But yeah forcing myself to take things lightly. Let’s see! If things totally go wrong, there is always next time or other options.

I love how supportive we all are in this forum. This has been such a hard time, I wasn't expecting it to affect me that much either. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, MujR said:

Oh hey me too! 0a/7r/6ir/4p here. We'll get somewhere eventually, that somewhere may not necessarily be an Econ PhD program, but somewhere great for sure!

Edited by LimeJuice12
  • Like 1

Anyone else wondering what's happening with UC Berkeley results this year? In the last couple years they seemed to send a mix of acceptances/rejections in an interval of 3 days, this year there has been a wave earlier on the month and some rolling acceptances...

What is the best plan of action if you do get rejected at all your desired programs? Working at the FED? Applying for predoc positions? Doing a masters? I've been getting straight rejections so far aside from my safety program and one waitlist, so I'm assuming IR for the rest of this cycle. It's quite disappointing but I'm not going to lose hope. I'm undergrad, so I'm praying Chicago and maybe Columbia will offer a masters after I got/will get rejected. But I also heard online that those programs can be quite cash-cow, so maybe a predoc is better? Then again, I'm not sure how easy it is to get into a strong predoc program at this stage. At the same time, you aren't getting a degree out of a predoc and it might limit your future options.

21 minutes ago, Eustruria said:

What is the best plan of action if you do get rejected at all your desired programs? Working at the FED? Applying for predoc positions? Doing a masters? I've been getting straight rejections so far aside from my safety program and one waitlist, so I'm assuming IR for the rest of this cycle. It's quite disappointing but I'm not going to lose hope. I'm undergrad, so I'm praying Chicago and maybe Columbia will offer a masters after I got/will get rejected. But I also heard online that those programs can be quite cash-cow, so maybe a predoc is better? Then again, I'm not sure how easy it is to get into a strong predoc program at this stage. At the same time, you aren't getting a degree out of a predoc and it might limit your future options.

If you're an undergrad and are getting rejected from these programs I wouldn't take it too hard at all tbh. You have options. Depending on what your profile looks like currently:

- in your undergrad did you take mathsey courses? Real analysis? Maybe even some grad level micro or something. If yes, then masters will will add less to your profile than a predoc/RA

- did you RA for a professor and is that professor willing to give you a strong letter? If yes then doing another RA ship/predoc may not be that useful.

So I would say balance these two objectives out. In the end either won't be a bad choice but masters programs may be expensive.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Eustruria said:

I'd go to Fed, your job options afterwards are expanded to industry and policy. 

• Like 2

• Erin unpinned this topic