Urch Forums

2022 Sweat Thread

Erin

4 hours ago, Eustruria said:

Just got a rejection email from Northwestern 30 minutes ago! I'll be passed to the finance department for a PhD consideration, but I highly doubt I'll get in. Not too worried. Best of luck everyone!

Did you apply for the Finance program or they do this for everyone who has a related research interest?

17 hours ago, kun09 said:

Did you apply for the Finance program or they do this for everyone who has a related research interest?

My email stated, "Since you indicated that you would like your application to be considered for admission to the Finance: PHD program if unsuccessful, your application continues to be reviewed by the Finance: PHD program." I don't think the admissions committee personally decided to pass anyone to another department for review, only if the applicant states so in their application. I doubt I will receive a positive response from finance as my application was optimized for economics research. Most likely I was rejected based on some cutoff.

Here are my stats: GRE(169Q/163V/4.5AWA), 3.89 GPA (undergraduate); major: Economics (BS), Applied Mathematics (BS), statistics (minor); 4 major publications (2 of which I was first author in); 3 research assistantships; 2 presentations; various scholarships/honors awards. I am still attending senior undergrad.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Eustruria said:

My email stated, "Since you indicated that you would like your application to be considered for admission to the Finance: PHD program if unsuccessful, your application continues to be reviewed by the Finance: PHD program." I don't think the admissions committee personally decided to pass anyone to another department for review, only if the applicant states so in their application. I doubt I will receive a positive response from finance as my application was optimized for economics research. Most likely I was rejected based on some cutoff.

Here are my stats: GRE(169Q/163V/4.5AWA), 3.89 GPA (undergraduate); major: Economics (BS), Applied Mathematics (BS), statistics (minor); 4 major publications (2 of which I was first author in); 3 research assistantships; 2 presentations; various scholarships/honors awards. I am still attending senior undergrad.

Your stats are great I don't understand how they could possibly do a cutoff on you unless they only accept 170Q applicants or some math grade like analysis, probstats, or linear algebra is lower than a solid A. Even then it doesn't make sense.

Applications have so much noise - waiting to hear back is nerve wracking even at schools I think I should be safe at lol

1 hour ago, Eustruria said:

I doubt this is a first cut. So far, it sounds more like they're reviewing the dual applicants first.

1 hour ago, lilac said:

I doubt this is a first cut. So far, it sounds more like they're reviewing the dual applicants first.

I agree, if I had to guess...there are two things happening: they are reviewing dual apps because typically kellog conducts interviews and results come out first, they are also probably discarding some people with a top 5 department level application, that they feel wouldn't take their offer (this can happen sometimes). So if you have a great portfolio and were rejected (like many of the people posting in gradcafe) that isn't necessairly a bad thing.

5 minutes ago, AnonFromFar said:

I agree, if I had to guess...there are two things happening: they are reviewing dual apps because typically kellog conducts interviews and results come out first, they are also probably discarding some people with a top 5 department level application, that they feel wouldn't take their offer (this can happen sometimes). So if you have a great portfolio and were rejected (like many of the people posting in gradcafe) that isn't necessairly a bad thing.

I would just also add: From what I've seen on gradcafe, Northwestern generally rolls out decsions in Econ (accepts/rejects/WL) in more waves than other schools. Their WL, is also longer I think. Given that their application deadline was one of the last (4th of jan) and that last year, first acceptances showed up around the 25th of feb it is likely that this is just a first wave motivated by Kellog's needs and we still have a long process ahead of us.

5 hours ago, waiting_2022 said:

Someone has news from Tinbergen Institute? The deadline to receive news is on wednesday... I was wondering if write them

Hey, yes I was admitted on Wednesday last week. They do two rounds of offers from my understanding. Good luck!

22 hours ago, AnonFromFar said:

I would just also add: From what I've seen on gradcafe, Northwestern generally rolls out decsions in Econ (accepts/rejects/WL) in more waves than other schools. Their WL, is also longer I think. Given that their application deadline was one of the last (4th of jan) and that last year, first acceptances showed up around the 25th of feb it is likely that this is just a first wave motivated by Kellog's needs and we still have a long process ahead of us.

The real question is are most of those who have not heard back from northwestern, people who did not choose the finance option 

On 1/25/2022 at 3:39 AM, AnonFromFar said:

I've applied to the dual program in NU. Assume that I survive from the first wave motivated by Kellog's needs, but this doesn't gaurantee that I'll be admitted. So what if I got rejected by the econ department later than Kellog's decision time? In that case, I'll not have my application to be considered for admission to Kellog even though I've paid the extra fee. Kind of confused.

3 minutes ago, yxx said:

I've applied to the dual program in NU. Assume that I survive from the first wave motivated by Kellog's needs, but this doesn't gaurantee that I'll be admitted. So what if I got rejected by the econ department later than Kellog's decision time? In that case, I'll not have my application to be considered for admission to Kellog even though I've paid the extra fee. Kind of confused.

My guess is that they review those who have the possibility to be admitted by Kellog first. Most of those who are rejected have a splendid profile. 

• Erin unpinned this topic