Urch Forums

2022 Sweat Thread

Erin

9 hours ago, ScottA said:

I'm also on the waitlist in this program, and they didn't tell me my position on the waitlist. (I didn't ask them either.) I'm not sure about the chance of getting off the waitlist there, and I was also wondering how competitive the applied econ admissions are. It seems that the admissions of econ-related programs have become harder and harder these years. Anyway, I hope you can get admitted there.

Thank you ScottA! I received my last explicit rejection last night and the remaining two are IR, so I am really hoping I get off the waitlist. I also hope you get the better offer you’re hoping for 🙏🏾

25 minutes ago, econjohn said:

It’s this Friday 

Thanks! Could you please share the contact of whoever’s organizing it? I was admitted yesterday and haven’t been able to get information on the visit day. 

Edited by FSG56

21 hours ago, loplop9090 said:

Did all the comments on Grad Cafe get wiped out for everyone else? Can't see anything 

Me too since yesterday, but seems that some are accessing anyway bc it appears that has some comments...not sure if thise people are accessing it by another browser or something...

On 3/16/2022 at 8:02 PM, SCCPKA said:

Good luck! Pls, i will appreciate if you could share afterwards some info. I saw at GC that they had a visiting day with 50 candidates but made offer to only 30...if they are doing a second round maybe their yield are below expectations

I didn't get much more info from USC unfortunately. The department is constrained by a policy of how to make offers and hopes to change this in the coming years. The visit day itself was great: the potential cohort had a great feel, the campus was beautiful, and the professors/current students were very relaxed and amicable in a way that felt authentic. Most of the people we met with are relatively new hires, so the department seems to have a strong upward trajectory. I would say, unfortunately for those who haven't heard yet, that USC definitely helped their potential yield rate a lot. If you get the offer it would be a great place to attend. If you have other offers but really want to go, I would email Jeff Nugent and ask him directly if you should keep waiting to hear something. They don't seem to have rejected anyone yet, so unfortunately hearing nothing at this point likely means IR. However, some people (who haven't heard) will invariably be closer to getting an offer than others, so it doesn't hurt to reach out. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, tlop543 said:

I didn't get much more info from USC unfortunately. The department is constrained by a policy of how to make offers and hopes to change this in the coming years. The visit day itself was great: the potential cohort had a great feel, the campus was beautiful, and the professors/current students were very relaxed and amicable in a way that felt authentic. Most of the people we met with are relatively new hires, so the department seems to have a strong upward trajectory. I would say, unfortunately for those who haven't heard yet, that USC definitely helped their potential yield rate a lot. If you get the offer it would be a great place to attend. If you have other offers but really want to go, I would email Jeff Nugent and ask him directly if you should keep waiting to hear something. They don't seem to have rejected anyone yet, so unfortunately hearing nothing at this point likely means IR. However, some people (who haven't heard) will invariably be closer to getting an offer than others, so it doesn't hurt to reach out. 

Thanks! Right after the visiting day they sent me a rejection. Hope you enjoy this great school!

Hi, has anyone not heard back from UCLA at this point (I am expecting an IR) but I've seen that lots of rejections have already been sent out, so whats going on? Same thing at UCSD and Davis!

PS: I know some people on waitlists so I guess they are just rolling out rejections at a brutally slow pace at this point, but if anyone had any other info please let me know : )

Edited by AnonFromFar
completing

7 hours ago, AnonFromFar said:

Hi, has anyone not heard back from UCLA at this point (I am expecting an IR) but I've seen that lots of rejections have already been sent out, so whats going on? Same thing at UCSD and Davis!

PS: I know some people on waitlists so I guess they are just rolling out rejections at a brutally slow pace at this point, but if anyone had any other info please let me know : )

UCLA's result is posted on the website now 😞

8 hours ago, fbgdr434 said:

Whats up with gradcafe? Anybody else can't see comments?

I cant see either since last week. I mentioned this here but I think that some people still have access to the comments and others are in the same situation of us with no access and no idea why

17 hours ago, SCCPKA said:

I cant see either since last week. I mentioned this here but I think that some people still have access to the comments and others are in the same situation of us with no access and no idea why

I have tried other browsers and it doe snot work

Question for people with offers at LSE and UCL: Do you guys have a sense of the industry job market for non-macro folks in the UK? I know that there exist at least some jobs in consulting, but are there tech based jobs in the UK, something similar to what exists in the US?

28 minutes ago, PTI said:

Question for people with offers at LSE and UCL: Do you guys have a sense of the industry job market for non-macro folks in the UK? I know that there exist at least some jobs in consulting, but are there tech based jobs in the UK, something similar to what exists in the US?

As far as I've heard, it is not as common as the US. However, there are jobs in data science (e.g. Deliveroo) or in tech in Europe (e.g. Amazon in Germany), although I do not know too much about the market in Europe. There are also places like IFS and CEP that hire PhD non-macro economists.

Edited by kot88

• Erin unpinned this topic