Urch Forums

2022 Sweat Thread

Erin

1 hour ago, kot88 said:

As far as I've heard, it is not as common as the US. However, there are jobs in data science (e.g. Deliveroo) or in tech in Europe (e.g. Amazon in Germany), although I do not know too much about the market in Europe. There are also places like IFS and CEP that hire PhD non-macro economists.

The scene is growing, and IMO a phd is worth the investment as the roles become more and more technical

21 hours ago, proletariat said:

Anyone going to the virtual meeting of UCSB tomorrow? I counted the number of non-UCSB emails on the invitation, and it ended up being sth close to 50. Holy cow. So basicially the number of waitlisted candidate is roughly 15-20, if not more. 

I attended the visit day virtually hours ago.

I am on the waitlist, and assuming by your waitlist counting, are you too on the waitlist?

Seems like a lot of people are in the same boat. Btw, have you checked the UCSB homepage? There's a calendar for events and it says there's Prospective PhD Student Recruitment Day on April 1st. Wonder if there's a separate event for others.

45 minutes ago, eou said:

I attended the visit day virtually hours ago.

I am on the waitlist, and assuming by your waitlist counting, are you too on the waitlist?

Seems like a lot of people are in the same boat. Btw, have you checked the UCSB homepage? There's a calendar for events and it says there's Prospective PhD Student Recruitment Day on April 1st. Wonder if there's a separate event for others.

I received an offer and therefore all corresponding info, though I won't go. April 1st is reserved for in-person events, which I think they only invite admitted students to visit the campus and they cover airline tickets, hotel and etc. 

58 minutes ago, Cauchycomplete said:

I received an offer and therefore all corresponding info, though I won't go. April 1st is reserved for in-person events, which I think they only invite admitted students to visit the campus and they cover airline tickets, hotel and etc. 

Oh thank you for sharing the info. Hope the best with your choice!

Did anyone here go in person to the NYU open day last week? What was the vibe - did those in attendance indicate whether they were likely to accept? As a keen punter on the waitlist, my fate seems to rest on a lot of people having dominating offers... 

Edited by gilgamesh

59 minutes ago, gilgamesh said:

Did anyone here go in person to the NYU open day last week? What was the vibe - did those in attendance indicate whether they were likely to accept? As a keen punter on the waitlist, my fate seems to rest on a lot of people having dominating offers... 

I have a similar question about the UChicago open day/wait list. Anyone have any insights?

3 hours ago, gilgamesh said:

I was there. The applied micro group seemed pretty bad, not enough professors and visible tensions between the different professors during their presentation. One of my friends who was also there already told me he is going to decline their offer.

7 hours ago, gilgamesh said:

I can add an alternative perspective to the one shared above: I thought the visit day went quite well and actually had a really good impression of the program, especially talking to the current grad students.

That being said, many of the admitted students had dominating offers and there were not many initial offers given out to begin with, so I would expect a decent amount of WL movement (of course, this is just my guess and I cannot say for sure).

3 hours ago, VeganEconomist said:

I was there. The applied micro group seemed pretty bad, not enough professors and visible tensions between the different professors during their presentation. One of my friends who was also there already told me he is going to decline their offer.

lol may I ask which group of professors has "visible tensions"?

4 minutes ago, seabrother123 said:

idk there are applied micro ppl at NYU; aren't they all young APs?

Not my field of interest so I wouldn't know. It was just awkward to be there. Oh, but for context, by "applied micro" this includes econometrics, development, IO, I think health was there... maybe more... they lumped a bunch of stuff together.

Edited by VeganEconomist

Did everyone on UChicago's waitlist receive an email from Shimer a few minutes ago with UChicago letterhead and beginning:

"I write to you with an update regarding the UChicago Economics waitlist. During the next two weeks we hope to be reaching out to many of you with offers to join our graduate program..."

Trying to figure out if this is sent to those on top of the waitlist, or all of them. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, mtar3101 said:

Did everyone on UChicago's waitlist receive an email from Shimer a few minutes ago with UChicago letterhead and beginning:

"I write to you with an update regarding the UChicago Economics waitlist. During the next two weeks we hope to be reaching out to many of you with offers to join our graduate program..."

Trying to figure out if this is sent to those on top of the waitlist, or all of them. Thanks!

Only you and me, I assume 😂

• Erin unpinned this topic