Urch Forums

2022 Sweat Thread

Erin

52 minutes ago, MujR said:

Did anyone receive interview email from emory? There is a post on gradcafe! Thought emory was my safety 

Yeah that was me! I think they'll start sending out more interviews soon, so I wouldn't worry too much just yet. Previous years on GradCafe show them sending interviews throughout February as well

37 minutes ago, yxx said:

Then why would they just volunteerly push those applicants with very great profile to another department? I thought they just send rejections because some are overqualified lol.

Man, northwestern is a top 10 department. There's no such thing as overqualified.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 11:31 AM, Eustruria said:

My email stated, "Since you indicated that you would like your application to be considered for admission to the Finance: PHD program if unsuccessful, your application continues to be reviewed by the Finance: PHD program." I don't think the admissions committee personally decided to pass anyone to another department for review, only if the applicant states so in their application. I doubt I will receive a positive response from finance as my application was optimized for economics research. Most likely I was rejected based on some cutoff.

Here are my stats: GRE(169Q/163V/4.5AWA), 3.89 GPA (undergraduate); major: Economics (BS), Applied Mathematics (BS), statistics (minor); 4 major publications (2 of which I was first author in); 3 research assistantships; 2 presentations; various scholarships/honors awards. I am still attending senior undergrad.

Got the same email as you, my stats are a little lower than yours: GRE 168Q/162V/5.5AW, 3.86 UG GPA as a Math/Econ double major plus two years at the Fed. I hope I wasn't rejected based on a cutoff...

10 hours ago, chubwagon1 said:

Got the same email as you, my stats are a little lower than yours: GRE 168Q/162V/5.5AW, 3.86 UG GPA as a Math/Econ double major plus two years at the Fed. I hope I wasn't rejected based on a cutoff...

Bro If you are cut off for some reason, it would only mean that they cut GRE Q at 170.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fbgdr434 said:

Bro If you are cut off for some reason, it would only mean that they cut GRE Q at 170.

I still think this is mainly people with a second choice that they try to evaluate to pass on to Kellog in time for their review (probably this week judging by previous years in gradcafe). However, I think they are under no obligation to pass anyone on to the second choice program before the date where decisions on interviews are made at Kellog.  So those that they decided to keep in the econ pool after this first wave of rejections are still subject to rejection and by the time they are passed on to Kellog, it will probably be too late. Tough realities.

I am pretty sure "chubwagon1" was not rejected based on GRE/GPA cutoffs, perhaps background but I think its very strong. I know its hard to believe, but sometimes people are just overqualified for NW and are probably sutied for a top 5 department. I have heard that this is a factor at top 20 and even lower top 10 schools. If out of the ~50/60 acceptance, 40 are people are making it into higher top 10s (like princeton, stanford, yale, harvard, mit, etc), they won't fill there seats easily. So to some degree I am sure this logic is applied.

Edited by AnonFromFar
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, PTI said:

Seems like that. Do they usually do more than one round of acceptances/waitlists?

It looks like they do but they're definitely top heavy with the biggest bulk coming in the first round and then subsequent offers trickle in -- I'd assume it's because some of the acceptances turn down offers if they got into top 10 programs instead.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CornellEnglishMajor said:

It looks like they do but they're definitely top heavy with the biggest bulk coming in the first round and then subsequent offers trickle in -- I'd assume it's because some of the acceptances turn down offers if they got into top 10 programs instead.

Any idea how long the first round lasts? Deciding if I should be worried that I haven't heard anything yet. 

2 minutes ago, chubwagon1 said:

Any idea how long the first round lasts? Deciding if I should be worried that I haven't heard anything yet. 

I'm not too sure myself since I'm in the same boat hahah but there's this website where someone scraped data off of grad cafe from the 2020 precovid cycle that I find marginally useful:

https://flynnjim2.shinyapps.io/Gradcafe/

If you click on "pick a school" and click on University of Michigan then you can see when people posted their acceptances. Not entirely accurate but still useful to some degree.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 9:05 PM, waiting_2022 said:

Someone has news from Tinbergen Institute? The deadline to receive news is on wednesday... I was wondering if write them

The deadline is over. I don't think they have a wait list concept too. It was accept or reject in 8 weeks, right? 

Does anyone have an idea if all interview notifications have gone out for Applied Economics at Cornell Dyson? The only posts on gradcafe are for the EERE track, unsure whether they are still going to send out interviews for other concentrations. Though it does seem that EERE interview happens a week or two before other tracks based on last year's timeline. 

7 hours ago, phd22 said:

The deadline is over. I don't think they have a wait list concept too. It was accept or reject in 8 weeks, right? 

If you sent your application by the first deadline, I believe they will consider it for the second application round, unless they decide to reject you.

Last year, TI rejected a few applicants just before the second deadline.

I wrote them on Monday to see if they would send anything this week, but no answer yet 😕

• Erin unpinned this topic