Urch Forums

2022 Sweat Thread

Erin

15 hours ago, Dommull said:

Looks like there were ~13 first round acceptances from Northwestern on grad cafe last year. I wouldn't read much into the acceptances so far this year

I undertsand that not everyone posts on gradcafe, but just look at the number of U. Michigan acceptances posted. I think NU still has acceptances to roll out. 

• Like 1

BA+ MSc in Econ from one of the best programs of my Latin American country, some RA experience, GRE 169Q/158V/4.0AW, field of interest is macro. Every year students from my department are approved at Rochester (especially those with a LoR from one of my letter writers). Rochester was probably a safe school for me. 

6 hours ago, Hyperplane said:

Can anyone confirm Penn State acceptance on GC? If it is true, i will not survive this cycle.

5 hours ago, Hyperplane said:

penn.thumb.png.d27ea61931a860f13c0a609a5d488e72.png

I suspect PSU is still doing early admits and a full first wave is to follow (while I'm not the poster from Jan 26, I was accepted earlier this month)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MathEcon007 said:

Anyone applying to UCSB? I contacted to the coordinator and he said there are 393 applicants. Pretty much same as last year. Going to be a tough year maybe. 

I wonder if the increase in applicants is mostly from people who decided to pursue a PhD due to covid or if more people are aware of the increased competition due to covid and now feel the need to apply to more programs than they otherwise would have. I definitely applied to a lot more schools across the rankings than I was intending on -- probably for the better.

I have doubts that the increase is made up of people deciding to suddenly pursue a PhD because they would have had to make up for a lot of coursework in classes like analysis if they hadn't been considering it beforehand. 

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, CornellEnglishMajor said:

I wonder if the increase in applicants is mostly from people who decided to pursue a PhD due to covid or if more people are aware of the increased competition due to covid and now feel the need to apply to more programs than they otherwise would have. I definitely applied to a lot more schools across the rankings than I was intending on -- probably for the better.

I have doubts that the increase is made up of people deciding to suddenly pursue a PhD because they would have had to make up for a lot of coursework in classes like analysis if they hadn't been considering it beforehand. 

I think this is because of the Covid. Here is the stats from last few years- https://econ.ucsb.edu/programs/graduate 
And UCSB doesn't require GRE, this can be another reason. I believe they will easily cut down 100 just looking at the math courses. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MathEcon007 said:

I think this is because of the Covid. Here is the stats from last few years- https://econ.ucsb.edu/programs/graduate 
And UCSB doesn't require GRE, this can be another reason. I believe they will easily cut down 100 just looking at the math courses. 

I noticed previously that UCSB has high Quantitative GRE mean scores as well -- what are the main reasons people apply to UCSB's Econ PhD program? 

1 hour ago, quantitypham said:

UCSB has a strong behavioral/experimental econ and applied micro program. Santa Barbara would be a nice place to live while working on a tough econ PhD (imo); central coast weather is pretty nice.

Thanks for your insights! I also kind of noticed that the West/Southwest states (CA, AZ, TX, etc.) offer experimental econ while the East/Northeast don't really and are more labor and possibly health econ focused (which seems to be less emphasized west of the Mississippi...). I suppose there are reasons for this phenomenon, unless it's entirely coincidental, although the lack of experimental research facilities/institutions to the extent of CA, for example, did stick out to me. 

Edited by prismaticrefraction

• Erin unpinned this topic