Urch Forums

2022 Sweat Thread

Erin

1 hour ago, yxx said:

May I ask that if I don't receive interview from USC now, does it mean an IR? 

Same here. Waiting for additional interview invites to come and worried if there might not be any more 😞

But does USC normally hold interviews for PhD admission?

On 1/30/2022 at 2:59 PM, econsar said:

Does anyone know whether this means a rejection for others? Or do they have multiple acceptance rounds?

I sent an inquiry on my status and got an immediate response from the program coordinator, saying that they made decisions weekly and I still need to wait.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, szhangbi said:

I sent an inquiry on my status and got an immediate response from the program coordinator, saying that they made decisions weekly and I still need to wait.

Did it seem like they were saying an interview meant they’d already decided to accept you?

45 minutes ago, econjohn said:

Did it seem like they were saying an interview meant they’d already decided to accept you?

Oh, I was quoting about Rochester, are you referring to another school? Or did you receive an interview invitation from Rochester? It seems unusual and I am not sure about its meaning, anyway, good luck to you!

2 hours ago, szhangbi said:

Oh, I was quoting about Rochester, are you referring to another school? Or did you receive an interview invitation from Rochester? It seems unusual and I am not sure about its meaning, anyway, good luck to you!

My mistake, I thought you were talking about USC. 

Anyone here accepted/applying to University of Minnesota Applied Econ program? There were some acceptances posted on gradcafe last week.

In my application checklist (in the application status page) now there are official transcript items marked as "waiting". I wonder if that is an indication of acceptance coming? Anyone else has seen that?

21 hours ago, MathEcon007 said:

I think this is because of the Covid. Here is the stats from last few years- https://econ.ucsb.edu/programs/graduate 
And UCSB doesn't require GRE, this can be another reason. I believe they will easily cut down 100 just looking at the math courses. 

Just curious, was the GRE optional or was it outright "Do not send to us"?

2 hours ago, fbgdr434 said:

Just curious, was the GRE optional or was it outright "Do not send to us"?

The application instructions page say that it is not required or accepted. The application portal too didn't ask for self-reporting the GRE, nor does it show receipt of official GRE scores post submission. That's as close to "Do not send to us" as it gets.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MathEcon007 said:

I talked to the department, they strictly mentioned that "We will not count your GRE score, so don't bother to submit". 

Another advantage that an american has is that there is really little barriers to calling and chatting up with the departments or just having connections.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, LimeJuice12 said:

Does anyone think that the Harvard (and MIT) acceptances on Gradcafe are fake? There's only one or two of them and at least for Harvard its pretty early.

While I don't think I have a chance at both, still sucks to get rejected.

I'm definitely skeptical and take grad cafe with a grain of salt when it's one individual post with no others following it. With the Stanford + UMich rejections for example it was clear there were mass decisions being sent out. Might be different later on in the cycle and for non top schools

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CornellEnglishMajor said:

I'm definitely skeptical and take grad cafe with a grain of salt when it's one individual post with no others following it. With the Stanford + UMich rejections for example it was clear there were mass decisions being sent out. Might be different later on in the cycle and for non top schools

Well, I know someone that got asked to be interviewed today, given that the timelines matches i think they did both straight acceptances and a few calls for interviews.

12 minutes ago, AnonFromFar said:

Well, I know someone that got asked to be interviewed today, given that the timelines matches i think they did both straight acceptances and a few calls for interviews.

Interview for H or M? Perhaps it's something new this year (I don't recall either of those interviewing econ applicants in years past but maybe things are changing).

4 hours ago, CornellEnglishMajor said:

I don't think there would be a lot of posts "following" any Harvard/MIT acceptances, since if you look on gc they usually send out acceptances/waitlists first before waiting like a week or so to send out rejections. Given that only 3 people posted their Stanford acceptance on gc this cycle, that may be about all we get.

Edited by lilac

39 minutes ago, lilac said:

Interview for H or M? Perhaps it's something new this year (I don't recall either of those interviewing econ applicants in years past but maybe things are changing).

I don't think there would be a lot of posts "following" any Harvard/MIT acceptances, since if you look on gc they usually send out acceptances/waitlists first before waiting like a week or so to send out rejections. Given that only 3 people posted their Stanford acceptance on gc this cycle, that may be about all we get.

It was an interview next week for MIT Sloan Finance, judging by GC Sloan had a few straight acceptances and a few calls for interviews today.

1 hour ago, AnonFromFar said:

Could you maybe elaborate a little more? How was this informal acceptance recieved?

I too received this informal acceptance. 

Email from program asked if I was still interested in the program/didn't have dominant offers as they thought my profile would fit very well into their university. I responded yes and received a reply that offers would be out in 10 days. 

1 hour ago, random_admit04 said:

I too received this informal acceptance. 

Email from program asked if I was still interested in the program/didn't have dominant offers as they thought my profile would fit very well into their university. I responded yes and received a reply that offers would be out in 10 days. 

hmmm, thanks for the insight guess that means an IR for anyone who didn't get it sadly.

• Erin unpinned this topic