Urch Forums

2022 Sweat Thread

Erin

38 minutes ago, lilac said:

UCLA did send at least some acceptances last night: 

Such a careless department. They did not even bother to match my scores to application portal in 65 days and sent acceptance without reviewing my application.  On top of that, they do not respond my mails for 2 weeks.

4 hours ago, random_admit04 said:

I too received this informal acceptance. 

Email from program asked if I was still interested in the program/didn't have dominant offers as they thought my profile would fit very well into their university. I responded yes and received a reply that offers would be out in 10 days. 

lmao "the person I know" may be you

58 minutes ago, Hyperplane said:

Such a careless department. They did not even bother to match my scores to application portal in 65 days and sent acceptance without reviewing my application.  On top of that, they do not respond my mails for 2 weeks.

How did you know they didnt review your application? I went to the portal to check after reading your post and my GRE status is still not received lol. I hope my app was still considered

1 hour ago, LoPohBia said:

How did you know they didnt review your application? I went to the portal to check after reading your post and my GRE status is still not received lol. I hope my app was still considered

Sorry, i might be exaggerating a bit but I just assumed it because many departments state that they will not review application that lacks official scores. I just received mail from UCLA. The mail says " Please note that it may take several weeks for scores to match. In the meantime, our reviewers are considering your application based on your self-reported scores. If you are accepted, we will follow up with requests for additional information". So we can say that they reviewed applications.

Edited by Hyperplane

On 2/1/2022 at 6:58 PM, szhangbi said:

I sent an inquiry on my status and got an immediate response from the program coordinator, saying that they made decisions weekly and I still need to wait.

A few Rochester waitlists have posted on GC. Should we brace ourselves for rejection in the coming days?

No acceptances so far, this is getting tensed. 

On 2/1/2022 at 12:58 AM, quantitypham said:

UCSB has a strong behavioral/experimental econ and applied micro program. Santa Barbara would be a nice place to live while working on a tough econ PhD (imo); central coast weather is pretty nice.

Apologies for the *maybe* dumb question, but how do you get an idea of which schools are the strongest in a particular specialty? I know of some options to determine this, but I am curious of others’ opinions.

On 2/3/2022 at 11:28 AM, MujR said:

Has anyone got email from notre dame? Wondering whether not getting an email by now means an implicit rejection! 😭

I got the update email about their timelines for phd admission saying that they have sent out first wave emails to finalists for interviews and will send out more over the next few weeks.

Subtext: you are not good enough for first wave

😞

3 hours ago, econk said:

Apologies for the *maybe* dumb question, but how do you get an idea of which schools are the strongest in a particular specialty? I know of some options to determine this, but I am curious of others’ opinions.

One of the starting points might be to look at how well-published/highly-regarded the faculty who specialize in that specialty are at the school. And then see if that school has designated programs specifically for that specialty, like a laboratory (for behavioral econ, etc.), academic concentrations, and maybe also infer from the website as an additional reference point to see how the school presents that specialty (one of their strongest, not mentioned, or somewhere in between). And of course there's word of mouth, e.g., learning from people currently/previously affiliated with the specialty at the school, etc. 

Edited by prismaticrefraction

About Notre dame interview:

I don’t think the subtext is correct! They may have sent interview invitations based on field of interest/submisison date/ alphabetical order! 

but then again, given how things are going, it is better to be pessimistic! 😞

Edited by MujR

3 hours ago, econk said:

Thanks for the question. One good starting point would be to ask your professors about which schools best align with your interests. Although they may not work in your particular field of interest,  they still have a pretty clear picture of the programs out there and their strengths. Then, faculty lists, topic-specific seminars, or placements, etc. at the schools can help narrow it down some more as mentioned above by prismaticrefraction.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, prismaticrefraction said:

One of the starting points might be to look at how well-published/highly-regarded the faculty who specialize in that specialty are at the school. And then see if that school has designated programs specifically for that specialty, like a laboratory (for behavioral econ, etc.), academic concentrations, and maybe also infer from the website as an additional reference point to see how the school presents that specialty (one of their strongest, not mentioned, or somewhere in between). And of course there's word of mouth, e.g., learning from people currently/previously affiliated with the specialty at the school, etc. 

2 hours ago, quantitypham said:

Thanks for the question. One good starting point would be to ask your professors about which schools best align with your interests. Although they may not work in your particular field of interest,  they still have a pretty clear picture of the programs out there and their strengths. Then, faculty lists, topic-specific seminars, or placements, etc. at the schools can help narrow it down some more as mentioned above by prismaticrefraction.

Thank you both for your responses!! This is very helpful. I feel like I have a decent idea of which schools are particularly strong in certain areas, but I was wondering if there was some kind “list”, etc that others knew about that I didn’t. A lot of what I feel like I “know” about schools’ specialties is just from hearing things from others. My advisors have definitely been very valuable in this regard. Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, econk said:

Thank you both for your responses!! This is very helpful. I feel like I have a decent idea of which schools are particularly strong in certain areas, but I was wondering if there was some kind “list”, etc that others knew about that I didn’t. A lot of what I feel like I “know” about schools’ specialties is just from hearing things from others. My advisors have definitely been very valuable in this regard. Thanks again for taking the time to respond!

Here are rankings based on publications and sortable by subfield: http://econphd.econwiki.com/rankings.htm

29 minutes ago, user501 said:

Does anyone have any idea approximately how many spots are left at Northwestern or what it means that they seem to be rejecting and releasing admissions in batches?

Ok here is the info that I have...not answering your question but I think I should share: Out of the eight people I know that applied to NU, two disclosed that they were passed on to Kellog when that first round of rejections started popping on gc. So that was real. However, given that 2 out of 8 is far from a selective filter and that they are rolling out acceptances already then I am not too confident at this point : (

52 minutes ago, AnonFromFar said:

Ok here is the info that I have...not answering your question but I think I should share: Out of the eight people I know that applied to NU, two disclosed that they were passed on to Kellog when that first round of rejections started popping on gc. So that was real. However, given that 2 out of 8 is far from a selective filter and that they are rolling out acceptances already then I am not too confident at this point : (

Thanks so much! Ugh I have a strong profile , comparable to the really strong candidates that got passed to Kellogg, and solid connections there and did not get passed on to Kellogg but have not heard anything so I feel like if they didn’t want me they would have sent me to Kellogg????! But maybe I’m delusional ahahahahbaa

• Erin unpinned this topic