Urch Forums

Importance of RA experience

MujR

Hello,

I previously posted my profile here and got some good suggestions. However, after going through the profiles of previous year admits here and in GC, I am now wondering if it is it possible to get into top 20/30 schools without RA/Research organisation experience. To be honest, the scope has been limited for me since I come from an underrepresented country (located in South Asia), should I even aim for TOP 30? My research experience so far includes only two independent thesis in masters level and two semester long graduate research projects. Nothing in Central Bank or a research organisation since the recruitment process of those organisations take 2-3 years in my country.  

• 1 month later...

I know for a fact that one indeed can, but it's tough. A few years ago I mentored someone through his application process. He had to do a gap year because he didn't do real analysis during his undergraduate education. He had no RA experience. Graduated from Penn State undergrad, which is not a top 30 program in econ I don't think. Decent LORs from his college professors. No thesis work. To be honest I thought top 30 was a long shot for him at the time, but I told him that it's worth a try. And he got into UVA, which I think is arguably top 30, although there are 40 schools that think they are top 30 🙂

So good luck!