Urch Forums

Transferring PhD in Economics (reasons explained)

newecon12

I joined a small school for a grad programme in econ, although I had offers from better schools (personal reasons).

Academically, things are going very well (still in first-year). I speak to the faculty regularly and have good relationships with my prospective advisors. However, I'm not enjoying the social environment, i.e. social life, peers, things to do here. I severely underestimated how much I enjoyed living in a large city, with a strong social-network. 

I haven't vocalized these thoughts with my advisors yet because I don't want to make a bad impression and I have developed very strong connections with them. Is it taboo to ask transfer to another school? I'm well aware that I would have to start from the beginning of the programme. 

Edited by newecon12

If you are very sure you won't complete your PhD here, I guess it is always better to let them know earlier than later. Surely faculty members would like to keep their students, but it is not the end of the world for them to lose a (potential) advisee, especially for econ phd.

5 minutes ago, newecon12 said:

Thanks mnbvbnm for your quick response. Is it not frowned upon? 

I think the faculty are aware of my issues but not of the severity of them.

It probably differs between different professors. However, you probably need at least one of your letters from them. So honesty would at least minimise the damage.

The reaction is likely to depend on the faculty member. But you will probably find some who are supportive. You will need at least one letter from the current program. And remember that you will likely have to repeat the first year elsewhere. Generally "transfer" is a misnomer. You get to mostly start over again.

It also seems a little strange to be asking this question at this time of year. It is rather late for most PhD applications. Are you thinking of moving after the second year?

• 2 weeks later...

It isn't taboo to apply to transfer. (As startz said, you aren't "transferring," just starting over.) 

I would talk with the Director of Graduate Studies and at least one of your fall semester professors about your situation. I wouldn't start with your desire to transfer, but let them know that socially and emotionally you aren't doing well and aren't happy (if I read your OP correctly). You can talk to them both about strategies to improve your life in the current situation and also get their advice about transferring to a new program. They aren't therapists, but they (esp the DGS) should be used to discussing these issues with PhD students.

If you do choose to apply to new programs, you should try to get at least one letter from your current department. PhD admissions is about your ability to do graduate level work and your current professors are best able to speak to that. Ideally you want letters that say that you are doing well (and they hope to keep you), but they understand and support your desire to seek a change of scenery. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a thought. Given that you were accepted to other programs, why not e-mail these program directors, explain your situation, and politely ask if you can get a spot next year? They might come back and ask whether you are willing to commit to come if you were given a spot, and you can answer honestly. Might save you a lot of trouble. Good luck!